Meetings and Greetings

Ben hadn't even been able to hope for an outcome of the meeting. The one they had received was unbelievable. He was basically free. 

A tiny green blur hurled itself around a corner in the hallway, scurrying toward them at an alarming speed for its size.

"Stop," said Rey, sensing he was ready to throw up some kind of defense. 

She dropped to her knees and held out her arms, and the little green blur launched itself at her. She laughed and wrapped her arms around it. 

A helmeted figure came up behind the green creature and stopped a few feet behind. 

"He made me come," said the helmeted man. "He said you were in trouble. We seem to have arrived too late again."

"I was," said Rey. "But I'm OK now. I'm glad to see you both. Ben, these are my friends." 

Ben's tension uncoiled a bit, and he nodded to the man. "Nice to meet you." He extended a hand. After a moment's hesitation, the man shook it with a painfully firm grip. 

"I'm called Mando in most circles," said the man. 

"A Mandalorian?" said Ben.

"What's wrong with you?" said the little creature, his head tipped to the side, huge eyes boring holes into Ben. 

Rey put her hand over her mouth, but he still heard the giggle she tried to suppress. 

"Is he sick?" said the creature to Rey. 

"Is that," said Ben, pausing. "Is that a Yoda?"

"He is," said Rey. "Of the same species as Master Yoda. He's my student. And he will be even more powerful than my master. More powerful than we are by a long shot."

"I never met Yoda," said Ben. "I heard Luke killed him."

When was Yoda her master? This must be part of the past he couldn't remember.

Rey gave him a withering look. "Luke did not kill Yoda. Don't listen to him, little one. Master Yoda died while training Master Luke. He was very old."

"Master Yoda said Master Luke asked too many questions and that killed him," said the little creature. "He said I did a good job not asking too many questions. Master Luke said it wasn't true though. I believe Master Yoda."

It was a child, Ben decided. But it must be smart. And it had also trained with Yoda? 

Rey laughed out loud. 

"Rey?" came a female voice. "REY!" 

A short, dark haired woman jogged down the hall and stopped in front of them. Mando and the little child moved out of the way. She too threw her arms around Rey. They both laughed.

"Everyone, this is my friend Rose," said Rey. Rey's smile was huge. 

"Hi, everyone!" said Rose. She was an energetic sort. 

"You must be the Mandalorian," said Rose, and she hugged him. The man started, and then awkwardly wrapped his arms around her. "Thanks for helping Rey. You're really great!"

Rose dropped down to eye level with the little green kid. "And you must be the very special boy I've heard so much about. What's your name?" She extended her hand to him, and he took it.

"I'm Yoda," said the boy. He looked at Rey, and she nodded her approval.

"It's so nice to meet you, Yoda," said Rose. 

She stood, and faced Ben. "And you must be the hot guy they've been hiding in the infirmary. Everyone is talking about you. I'm Rose, nice to meet you." She stuck out her hand, and he accepted it. 

Rey stood on tiptoes and kissed his cheek. She whispered in his ear, "You're blushing." 

The Council door opened and Finn slid out. He took in the scene, and held out a hand to Rose, who joined him. Finn's arm circled around her.

"I heard you all the way inside," said Finn to Rose. He turned to face Ben. "I see you've met my fiance."

Ben nodded. He wasn't sure where he stood with this general. He was relatively sure Rose had no idea who he was, because she hadn't run screaming or kicked him in the shins. 

"This is Ben," said Finn. "He's Rey's..."

"Rey's boyfriend," supplied Yoda. 

"Great," said Rose. "Is he coming to the wedding with you?"

Finn looked a little sick, but Rose didn't seem to notice. Ben smiled his best smile and placed a firm hand on Rey's lower back. She arched into him, just a little, and looked up into his face. He needed to get rid of all of these people and get her alone.  

"That sounds like a good plan," said Rey. "If we're still here."

"Of course you'll be here," said Rose. "It's tomorrow. I'm so glad you came back. We moved it up when we heard you would be in Coruscant. Mando and Yoda, you are welcome to come, too."

It was clear that Rey was the leader of this little troupe. They all looked to her for affirmation.

"Will Master Ben be better by then?" said Yoda. 

It was going to take a while for him to get used to hearing the title of Master precede his name.

"Why don't I arrange for some guest rooms for Mando and his son," said Finn. "Rose, will you ask the seneschal for a room for Ben?" He ushered her away, obviously wanting to end this ticking bomb of a conversation before the kid divulged Ben's true identity to his clueless fiance. 

"Ben doesn't need a room," said Rey. 

"Ben stays with Rey," said Yoda. 

Ben liked the kid. He was smarter than Finn.

"I'll come by later," called Rose, as Finn bustled her away.

He wanted to tell the woman Rey wouldn't be available later, but decided it would be better to just barricade the doors to her room. 

"Let's go somewhere and talk," said Rey, leading the three of them to an empty corridor with vacant meeting rooms on both sides. 

Ben trailed along behind them, shutting the door when they were all inside the little conference room.

Rey briefed the Mandalorian and the Yoda on what had happened since she left Ahch-To. It sounded so simple when she laid it out using highlights in chronological order. It hadn't been simple in the least. Ben had started to believe what she said though, as far-fetched as it all sounded. 

"We should be going," said the Mandalorian.

"Can we stay for the party, Papa?" said Yoda. "Pleaeeeese?" 

The Mandalorian and Rey shared a look, and the man relented. "Fine. But we leave right after."

"So do we," said Rey.