Know, I Do Not

Poe made a trip back to Coruscant, and returned with C-3PO. Rey stood beside the newest resident of Ahch-To as the Falcon departed with Finn, Poe, and BB-8 aboard. 

"What are your instructions, sir?" said C-3PO.

"The first is that you don't call me 'sir'," said Rey. "Keep that for the Generals."

He didn't acknowledge the order, just continued talking. "I have identified a pre-Galactic Empire gunship. Are we in danger?"

"No." Rey had forgotten how much he worried. "That's the Mandalorian's ship."

"A Mandalorian! Are they dangerous? They have a violent history."

"You're talking to a Jedi. We aren't going to judge individuals by the violence of their past organizations."

"If you're sure, Master Rey."

"I need help with the Caretakers. Do you speak their language?"

"I am fluent in over six-million forms of communication," said C-3PO.

Rey eyed him. "Does that include whatever language is spoken by the Caretakers?" She could see why he annoyed people. 

"Why, yes."

"Great. Go to the other side of the island and see what you can find out. They don't like me very much."

"I will go, Master Rey. But this place is much too rocky."

"There's a path." She pointed it out. 

"Are they hostile?"

"I wouldn't shoot any permanent structures if I were you. Otherwise, you'll probably be OK."

"Oh," said C-3PO as he walked toward the path. "I do hope they are docile."

"Complains much, he does," said Yoda.

Rey turned to find Yoda standing beside her, watching C-3PO pick his way around rocks. 

"I can deal with complaining," said Rey. "As long as he's helpful."

"Helpful, he is."

"I should have figured out how to communicate with the Caretakers by now."

"Like you, they do not. Do their duty, they will. Researched your question, I have."

Which one? She didn't say anything, just waited for him to continue in his own time.

"My son, the boy is not. Yaddle's son, neither is he. Broke our Oaths, we did not."

"Where do you think he came from?"

"Somewhere else. Where Yaddle and I came from, perhaps. Know, we do not."

"Can I tell the Mandalorian?"

"The boy's father, he is. Tell him, you must. Mhm. Right, that is."

"Do you know where you came from?"

Yoda was quite for a long time. "Know, I do not. Guesses only, I have."

"I understand not knowing where you came from. It's not a comfortable place to be."

"Ah. Comfortable, it is not. A lack of identity, it creates."

It surprised Rey when she found she had things in common with aliens who were so alien from her. Especially this one. He was shrouded in mystery, and would be remembered as one of the pillars of the Jedi Order. She had big shoes to fill.

"Yoda, I wanted to ask you something else."

"Mhm. Many questions, you have."

"Yes, I do. But a few specific ones. Why no relationships? Romantic relationships, I mean."

Good grief. She was starting to talk like him. She gave herself a mental shake.

"A precaution, it is only. Anakin's path, you must remember."

"Did the Jedi always keep that Oath?" She found it hard to believe.

"Keep it, some did not."

"And did they become Darths, like Anakin?"

"Turned to the dark side, only a few."

Rey sat down on the ground, and Yoda joined her, hovering at her eye level. 

"What if I remove that oath?" said Rey, not looking at him. "I understand that it might cause problems. I'm willing to try to work to correct the potential issues in other ways."

"Considered this, we have."

"And?"

"It was not worth the risk, at the time. Different, today is. This decision for you, I cannot make."

"Hm. OK. I just wanted to ask."

"Another problem, I must share with you."

"It must be a bad one, if you're bringing it up without me asking first."

Yoda chuckled. "Know me well, you do. Fading, we are."

"Wait. Fading? Who?"

"Gone already, is Obi-Wan."

"Gone where?"

"Know, I do not. See it if you look closely, you will."

She turned to study him. The usual Force Ghosts appeared with edges as crisp as a living person, only in whites and shades of gray. Yoda was right. His edges were a bit smudged around the outline. 

"But." Rey stopped before her panic showed. 

"Worry, you must not."

"Are you all fading?" Ben. Was Ben fading? She wanted to scream the question at him. 

"Not yet. In the older ones, it has begun. Myself. Mhm. Anakin."

Rey focused on centering and calming herself. She had imagined a lifetime spent with these Ghosts. And after her death, she would join them. She would finally be with Ben. 

But now they would all fade and leave her. And when she crossed over, she would be alone again. Always alone. 

"Sorry, I am. Great anxiety, I have caused you."

"What will I do? How long do you have?"

"Know, I do not. Long enough, I still have."

"To teach me? Start talking. How am I going to do this alone?"

"Alone, you will not be. Come, help will."

"From where?" Her voice had become shrill. 

She swallowed hard and clenched her fists. She was going to cry. She hadn't cried when she'd faced down an army of Sith. But this was too much. Everyone had a breaking point.

"Leave you unaided, we will not. Trust us, you must."

"But, how?"

"Ask the wrong questions, you do."

"How is asking 'how' wrong?"

"Your true concern, it is not."

"I'm too tired for these riddles, Master Yoda. Please speak plainly. What is the right question?"

"Know it, you will. In time. Mhm."

Then, he vanished.

Rey gripped at the grass on the ground around her and tore chunks out of it. These Jedi were infuriating. She would never treat her students this way. She would give straight, honest answers. 

"Is talking to yourselves a Jedi trait?" said the Mandalorian, dropping down beside her.

Yoda had said she didn't ask the right questions. So instead of saying 'What?,' she said, "Why?"

"My son talks to himself on occasion since we arrived here. Just curious." 

Huh. Were the Force Ghosts visiting Little Yoda, too? She'd ask him next time she trained with him.

"It seems like it is a thing we do, Mando. But I wouldn't worry about it."