Chapter 25

~ALEXANDRA~

I followed the generals through the maze of streets, leading to the Kremlin Palace's Red Porch. What a contrast to the gilded opulence of the old Kremlin. The great city of Moscow had become a rubbish heap of history. Rats and crows now roamed the filthy alleys. I remembered churches and parks, which today were falling apart and worn down with age. Deserted and dilapidated palaces reminded me of the ill fate that had befallen my own family.

Was this how I wanted my home to be? I was born into the richest royal house in the world, but now all I had was ashes of the past.

The red-eyed soldiers stood at attention along the path to the Cathedral of the Dormition. It was where my anointing and crowning would be. We entered the memorial building, walking towards the prepared dais under a golden canopy. Two large thrones had been set up. One of them was made of white gold and embedded with diamonds. The throne belonged to Czar Michael I, first Czar of the Romanov Dynasty—it was called the Diamond Throne.

Looking at the whole place, I realized we now lived the lives which hardly bore semblance to the grandeur of our mortal heyday. Perhaps the disappearance of my sister had brought back all these unsettling memories. Perhaps, it was a sense of loss that caused me feeling blue. My coronation was just three days away. Soon, I would be pronounced the Empress of Russia.

With a sigh, I turned away from the great empty seats.

"Your Highness," Victor's voice said beside me. "We have arranged the items of regalia for the royal parade. I guess you might like to have a look."

I gave him a small nod. He led me to a wide table beside the dais. It displayed all the important regalia handed down from the previous dynasties.

My eyes moved over them one by one. There was the Chain of the Order of St. Andrew the First, First Call of the Czarina, the Sword of States, the Banner of States, the State Seal, the Purple Robe for the Czar, the Orb, the Scepter, and the Great Imperial Crown—all arranged in a strict order.

"We still don't know whether you would prefer the royal gown like Czarina Catherine the Great or..."

"No, I will have the formal arrangement similar to my father's," I said. "The purple cloak would be enough. Russia had tasted the Golden Age before, but that's not likely to happen again during my reign."

Victor glanced at me with a troubled look on his pale face. He was clearly disturbed by the ominous tone in my voice but didn't say anything. He then proceeded to report to me about the people who would be joining the morning procession.

"That will be held by thirty-two generals from all parts of the empires," he said. "Ministers of the War Office and the Imperial Court. The Commander of the Imperial Residence, and the Commander of the Vanguards. Also, the royalties from the other Allied Nations will send their messengers to congratulate you during your coronation."

"Did you get any messenger from the Kaiser?" I asked with a hint of sarcasm. Victor shook his head. The German Empire had squirmed a little when I ordered the mobilization of our forces. My Uncle knew I was preparing for the worst. That old vampire would never let a child like me defy him.

"Our spies sent back coded telegrams about their advancement with the new army," Victor said as if reading my mind. "It looks like the Kaiser is not fooling around anymore. Some of the European nations have already pledged their alliances to him."

"They say it's less dangerous to battle with a young lion than with an old, dying lion," I said. "The Kaiser is by no mean 'dying' of course, but he was like an old lion with his claws and fangs still sharp—a fine military leader far better than my own father."