Chapter 13

VALERINA

Those eyes.

Those deep sad golden eyes were going to haunt me forever.

The moment she grabbed me and kissed me, she had me deep down to my soul. Although I refused to admit that I had been claimed by this beautiful princess, I knew it was just my own denial, and I wish I could, for the life of me, escape from those eyes.

But I knew it was too late.

I was the moth and she was my deadly flame.

Our hunters arrived at the main entrance at last. I slid down the back of my horse. Malena swung her legs over hers and jumped off gracefully. Then the stable boys came and took our rides away. Women and children stood by, staring in amazement at our caged prisoner.

The hunters began to unload necessary items as quickly as possible. Then slaves we had rescued from Ostankino were also allowed to get out of their carriages. All of them shared a look of wonder once they set their wandering eyes at the big stone castle hidden behind the rocky mountain.

A troop of hunters rushed through the corridors. Among them was Arkady, whom we only referred to as 'Ark.' The red-haired man walked over to us while his long black cloak brushed over the cobblestone. The rest of the hunters and huntresses waited at the entrance, fully armed.

"Unchain her," Ark spoke to our surprise. Malena stepped forward.

"But the drug will wear off soon," she said.

"It's an order, Alpha," he said. "Trotsky needs to speak to her right now."

A frown creased both of our foreheads as we stared at Ark. Malena finally nodded and waved to the other hunters. After a moment, they opened the iron cage. Then two of our hunters gingerly and nervously removed the chains off of the blonde vampire's ankles, though they left the handcuffs on.

Anastasia looked exhausted. She could barely move a muscle, yet it didn't seem to ease everyone's anxiety. Two shots of tranquilizers could easily kill a person, but Anastasia was conscious enough to stare back at us. Those glowing eyes examined everyone and everything as if she was calculating something in her mind.

"Get out slowly," my older sister spoke again with a warning tone. "You're in our territory now."

Anastasia's striking feature was pale and devoid of emotions. Her crimson lips looked parched and drier than ever. Gradually, she began to move, which caused the hunters to stir again. There was this slight feverish look in her eyes that I knew all too well what it was-the predatory hunger, something I should direct all my hatred towards. The young princess stepped out of the sled ever so slowly-her movement was like a lioness, though wounded and starved.

Then the same slender girl came running towards her before we could do anything. Malena signaled to the hunters to stand back. Everyone held their breath, witnessing the interaction between the two. I bet all of us expected the poor human girl to be bitten by the bloodthirsty beauty, but nothing happened.

I remembered the girl's name was Lyra. She must be Anastasia's lover or human mistress. Lyra looked overly concerned as she wrapped her arms around Anastasia's hunching torso and propped her up gently. Anastasia let out a dry cough and winced a little.

"Are you alright?" Lyra whispered softly and earned a slight nod from the princess. And just like that, a tiny hint of jealousy seemed to manifest itself right inside my chest.

I frowned at this unexpected reaction.

"Everyone move!" one of the hunters shouted and the rest parted and backed away.