Chapter 35

Outside the window of the Winter Palace hung a pale crescent moon in the sky. We stood by the fireplace in my chamber. The fire burned away, casting its golden light over our faces. Valerina let me undo the laces of her bodice. Her heart pounded like a moth caught in a flame. I had to remind myself that standing before me was a fearsome assassin on the battlefield, someone who could draw enemy's blood without making a sound, but she was also a human, capable of feeling emotions and untamed desires.

I brought my lips to hers, hoping to dissipate her nervousness. She let out a soft moan into my mouth.

"No need to be nervous," I told her between kisses. "It's not like I haven't seen you before, and obviously it's not like we haven't had sex, is it?"

Vale pulled back to glare at me. Her deep blue eyes sparkled like sapphires against the snow.

"You're so naughty for a princess," she said, which made me laugh and pulled her against me a bit roughly. My hands shredded off the last layer of her garment. She gasped. Her naked body flushed warm against my skin.

"No Anastasia, you ruined my gown!"

"I'll give you a thousand more to replace this," I said. My hand slipped through the gap of her thighs and found her sensitivity. She was warmer down there. Valerina gasped once again. Her hands instinctively wound around my neck. Her fingers tangled in my hair.

"Be gentle, will you?" she said.

"What's the point of being gentle when you know that sex with me is going to be wonderful?" I asked in a teasing tone.

"Geez, you're driving me mad!" she said but then sought my lips with her own again. We kissed until our bodies screamed with needs.

We both fell onto the soft bed with our limbs entwined. Her slender naked body glowed like white snow under the moonlight. It caused an excited flutter in the pit of my stomach. Vale's perfect round breasts arched with those lovely nipples erected like two red berries. I opened my mouth and devoured them with the thirst of her essence.

When I pulled away, Valerina opened her eyes again and stared at me. I sat up just to admire the angel in my bed.

My hand reached out and grazed her warm supple skin with my fingers, moving slowly down along the valley of her breasts. Valerina squirmed and shivered from the sweet sensation. Her teeth clamped down over her bottom lip with anticipation.

I smiled.

"I like it when you get jealous, you know?" I said as she looked into my eyes.

"Well, I don't."

I laughed, but with a swift motion, she rolled me onto my back, sliding her dainty body atop me. Her warm skin elicited a moan from my lips.

"How is a fierce huntress like you find herself in bed with her prey?" I said, stroking my way down her spine. My cold fingernails trailed over her delicate milky skin.

"I don't want you to look at any girl that way, Anastasia," she said.

"In my heart, no girls can make me look at them that way but you," I whispered. "God knows what kind of spell you cast over me."

Her hands came to my face. Her eyes turned gentle again.

"I tried to tell myself that she's just your past," she finally said. "Trust me, I really did. But I couldn't stop myself from overthinking."

"I thought this was about Lyra?"

"You know who I was referring to, Anastasia. Don't dodge it." Valerina said with a shake of her head. Her flowing hair cascaded down her shoulders.