8%

HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN - THE BEATLES

✵ ✵ ✵

Della.

The sound of laughter fills my eardrum, waking me from my slumber. I rise in my bed, wiping the matter from the corners of my eyes. It was a sunny day. The sheer curtains did not block out the sun as much as I'd like them too, blinding me when I fully open my eyes. My window is slightly open, letting in a warm breeze and the sounds of summer breathing. I groan as I stretch out my tired bones, reminding myself of the company below me. I am shocked to read 12:34 pm on the clock on the wall; Gee doesn't usually let me sleep in. Odd.

I slip out from the duvet that covers my body, grabbing a pair of grey shorts from the edge of my bed. I slip into the shorts, not bothering to tie the string. My body felt odd from sleeping longer than I needed to. I change into a white tank top that barely covers my belly button, but I don't care. The voices from below are more precise once I open my bedroom door. I peer down the long hallway, noticing everyone's doors are open.

I step into the washroom to fulfill my daily routine. As I brush my teeth, I manage to overhear Gee's sweet laugh, along with what sounds like Mom's. The last few days have been brutal in this house of sorrow. Mom weeps at night and goes for long walks in the day. There's barely any conversations at all, other than the ones at breakfast and before bed. I want to know why they were laughing and who was the cause of it.

As I step down the hard wooden stairs, I recognize Deven's distinct laugh. It could make everyone else beam, even Mom. I could hear the rare sound she never lets us hear. This moment of laughter created a warm feeling throughout the entire bungalow. I could feel it each step I took. It was refreshing to hear Mom laugh. I could overhear her as I passed the wall of photos. Once I approached the doorway, I recognize a familiar accent, even though their voice is groggy and low, I know exactly who it is.

"What did the man with no hands get for Christmas?" The voice speaks again.

I peak my head into the living room to identify the one and only, Harry. He is sat on our dark grey couch, surrounded by Mom, Gee, Caleb, and Deven as he begins to tell what I presume is another joke. I am taken aback by the scene in front of me. I never would've thought Harry would be inside my house, let alone sitting on my couch with my family. This was an unusual and weird sight for me.

"What'd he get?" Caleb is cross-legged in front of Harry, his eyes glued on Harry.

"Gloves.." Harry earns stifled snickers from around the circle. "Sike, he didn't open it yet."

"Good afternoon, everyone." I butt into their merriment, partially earning some of their attention.

I cautiously slipped into the room, not wanting to be a mood kill. I relished moments like these thoroughly, though I was still adjusting to having them so frequently, especially in my home. This new feeling in the house is the kind I never thought would return.

Harry brought it back, but what is he playing at?

After our night beneath the stars, he's been trying to reach me. Deven has even carried on messages from Harry each time we hang out. Now, he's in my living room telling my family jokes. I need to distance myself from him more. Whatever he thinks we are or what we're going to be, I need him to know there's no us. It, we won't work because nothing ever works out. I need him to know that we're just friends.

"It's about time you started your day, Addie.." Harry acknowledges my presence, and tests out a nickname.

"Well, Granny Gee didn't pound on my door like she usually does.." I intentionally ignore the nickname, knowing he would've wanted me to react to it.