Chapter One

I watched as Hera levitated a wounded man on to the bed. She began shouting orders at the other Gods and Goddesses of Olympus, but I didn't hear what she was saying. I was too focused on the black haired, dark blue eyed man laying on the bed, writhing in pain. I felt a pull on my heart, telling me to go help him, but I wasn't sure how. I didn't know anything about healing. I didn't even know what was wrong with this man. I could have made things worse if I tried to help, so instead I stayed out of the way and watched as the Gods and Goddesses tended to the wounded man.

Something about him was different. But I wasn't sure what it was. Who was he? I turned and walked away, needing to get out of there and see my Dad. Maybe he'd have some idea about who this mysterious man was and where he'd come from.

I found him in the library of Olympus. He was sitting on a couch with my Mom curled up to his side. He'd removed his winged helmet and it was sitting on the table next to him. There was a fire burning in the fireplace and it made the room feel inviting.

I spotted the winged sandals sitting by the fireplace and fought the urge to roll my eyes. My Dad was fast enough without those things, but they'd been a gift, so he wore them out of courtesy. I guess it was pretty clear as to who my Dad was. He was Hermes, the God of Trade, Wealth, Luck, Fertility, Animal Husbandry, Sleep, Language, Thieves, and Travel. He really needed to stop exploring his options and pick one or two things to oversee. In addition to his many areas of expertise, my Dad was also the messenger of the Gods and an Olympian.

"Hey Dad," I greeted him. He and my Mom looked up and smiled at me.

"Hello Avalon," he greeted me. That was me. Avalon Winter. Now some may find it odd that I had a last name, since I was the daughter of a God. But I wasn't a Goddess, I was a demigod. My birth Mother was human. And the woman curled up to my Dad's side? That was Aphrodite. She was basically my Mom. She'd helped my Dad raise me and been there for me for most of my life.

"What's wrong sweetie?" Mom asked me, "You look a little worried."

"I just saw Hera and Artemis bring a man in," I told them, "He was hurt really badly."

"What did he look like?" Mom asked curiously.

"Black hair and dark blue eyes," I replied.

Mom's eyes widened and she sat up. She looked at my Dad with fear in her eyes.

"You don't think...?" she trailed off, unable to finish.

"I hope not," Dad replied.

"I need to go see Hera and find out what happened!" Mom exclaimed as she jumped up and rushed out of the room.

I looked at my Dad curiously.

"What's wrong Dad?" I asked, "Mom looked pretty worried."

"She is," Dad replied, "That injured man you saw might be one of the Moirai."

"The Four Fates?" I asked.

"The very same," Dad told me.

"I thought they lived in the Underworld," I stated.

"They used to, but they went to the human world a few years ago and decided to stay there," Dad explained. I nodded in understanding. "Come on," he told me, "We should go and eat dinner."

I nodded and followed him out of the library.