Chapter 10

"Where is she now?" Clara asked, as she rested her head on Ray's shoulder. She knew that this was wrong, he was her employer, but somehow, it felt right.
"Well, she divorced me pretty fast after that," Ray said, matter of factly. "What really broke my heart was the kids. Ellie had been crying herself to sleep for the past year. I tried to do everything I could to help her but nothing worked. Ever since you've been here, we've all been so much happier," Ray confessed.
Clara sat up and smiled at Ray. "I've been happy here too,"she whispered.
Ray leaned in, and their lips met for the first time, melting away the sadness. At least for a moment.
That night neither one of them could sleep.
***

Clara awoke the next morning to Ellie tugging at her arm. "Get up Clara, get up!" The five year old squealed, delightedly. Clara jumped out of bed and looked at the clock. It was nearly eleven thirty in the morning, she had over slept. "Get dressed, daddy said we could have a picnic." Clara shouted as she ran out the door.
Clara threw on a knee length pale yellow skirt and a flowy white top with beige sandals. A perfect summer outfit, she thought. She applied some peach lip gloss and dangly silver earrings. She had to admit it - she looked nice.

Downstairs The children were surrounding Ray as he prepared sandwiches and other goodies for lunch. "A picnic?" Clara questioned.

"Hey!" Ray exclaimed. "Only the finest for lunch," he chuckled. "Bologna and mayonnaise sandwiches," as he held up a plastic bag containing one of his gourmet creations.
"Yum!" Clara laughed, jokingly licking her lips. She was new to this...this flirting. And she had to admit, she liked it.

Clara carried the picnic basket as she walked alongside Ray and the children. Ray was now able to get around without a crutch, just with a slight hobble.

"I think this spot looks good, don't you?" Ray asked, pointing to a comfortable looking spot near the sprawling willow tree.

"Yeah, this looks great," Clara agreed. Clara spread the old quilt out and Ray sat Ava gently down on the worn fabric, the busy toddler began exploring.

"I'm hungry!" Samuel exclaimed, resting his little hands on his tummy, to point out just how hungry he was. Ray reached into the basket and pulled out the sandwiches, passing them to the kids first. Samuel and Ellie began to chow down on the meal, while Ava took small nibbles.

Ray had packed turkey sandwiches on rye bread for the two of them. They listened patiently as Ellie and Samuel took turns telling stories.

"Daddy, can me and Sam race in the field?" Ellie asked impatiently as she hurried to finish the last bites of her sandwich.

As the children ran off playing, there was a new silence between the two. It had been the first quiet moment since lunch had stated.

"Thank you for making lunch," Clara said, trying to break the uneasy silence between them. Ray nodded his head.

"The kiss last night..." Ray paused. "It...can't happen again."