Chapter 2

A/N this is a bit longer, but it's kinda annoying because it only seems to span over about an hour, if that.. Vote and comment :)

........................................................................................................................................................

Don't get me wrong, I love school. Yes, that must make me sound like a total nerd but I promise I'm not! It's not the lessons I like, it's being surrounded by people that actually care for me. It's a totally different environment to being at home.

Oh and another thing that probably makes me completely weird is that my best friend is a guy. Yep. We met when I first moved here, seeing as he only lives a few houses away. It's a pretty typical story how we met: I was struggling with dealing having my mother at home seeing as she thought it would be nice to stay at home just while we unpacked but that didn't last long. So one night when she was just being completely impossible, I walked out. I was just wandering down our street because I didn't want to go far seeing as I didn't have a clue about the area. I was thinking about what it used to be like, back in London and how my mother used to be a sort of dream parent.

It was while I was distracted like this that I bumped into someone. And fell flat on my butt. Nice way to come across the first person I'd met in America, I'd thought to myself. And it was made even worse when I looked up into the face of a guy with bright green eyes, and a mop of curly, chocolate brown hair that fell across his eyes so he had to flick it away. This guy was definitely hot. He was wearing a pair of grey track suit bottoms and a plain white t-shirt that clearly showed the muscles beneath.

"Are you okay?"

His voice startled me and I realised that I'd been staring at him.

"Um, yeah, um sorry. I guess I should have been looking where I was going.. Sorry"

Oh god stop babbling and just shut up! I had to remind myself that I did not want the first friend I might have here to think I'm completely insane!

"Oh no it's okay, I wasn't looking where I was going either," he said, and I had a feeling he was just trying to shut me up from talking too much.

He held out a hand for me and helped me up.

"I'm Declan, you just moved in down the road didn't you? Where did you move from?" Wow, he seemed inquisitive, didn't even ask me my name!

"Um yeah, the only one that was empty.. Which probably explains how you knew." I laughed for a moment, as did he, before I realised that again, I was sounding like a crazy person who was talking to myself. "My name's Nathalia, I just moved here from London".

Declan's eyes widened for a moment before he spoke. "Oh really? Wow, I'd love to visit London!"

"Well maybe you can come visit with me next time I go home?" Jeez, now I sound like a stalker too.

"I'd love to!"

And that was the moment we became best friends. It was a pretty cliche way for it to happen, and we were as close as the people in the movies. But we knew one thing, unlike those in the movies we were never going to get together. Dec was pretty sure he'd already met the girl for him.. He just had to find the balls to ask her out.

*Flashback over*

I jumped into Declan's car and we headed off towards school. Somehow, I'd managed to fit in with his group at school and although we weren't popular we weren't nobody's either. I loved it this way. And the less people that know about my mother and our house the better. People would take advantage of my life too much if they knew.

"Mooooorning Nat!"

Jeez, how is he so perky in the mornings?

"Hey Dec, wanna shut up for a minute and let me sleep some more for like, the 10 minutes we have before we get to school?"

He laughed, and reached over to pinch my cheek before carrying on.

"No, because you would love that too much!"

Did I mention that we're so close we tease each other quite a lot? But he's so sweet. When Declan needs to be serious, he is.

I just ignored him and tried to sleep anyway, which was made difficult by the fact that he decided to blast his music at full volume. I love Biffy Clyro, but not at this sort of time in the morning. When we got to school, we parked not too far away from the building but being juniors we didn't get to go right next to the school building until next year.

I sighed, I didn't have any of my lessons with Declan in the mornings. When we got out of the car, he walked round and enveloped me in one his hugs. I breathed in his scent, he smelled of axe, and was grateful for his warm hug.

"You looked down, so I thought I would give you a hug" Declan said, to explain the random hug.

"Thank you Dec" I looked up and smiled at him.

Declan kissed my cheek and pulled back so he could leave.

"It's okay Nat, anything for you! See you at lunch, love you!"

Aww, such a cutie! Anyone would think he's a girl when he talks like that. But it's only with me he acts like that, he's all big and tough with other people. I feel so special.

"Love you too! See you later". I called as he walked away.

I turned and went in search of Olivia, who I have my morning lessons with usually. She's a lovely girl, and is the one I can talk to when there's something I can't really talk to Declan about. But that doesn't happen very often as I tell him everything, but Liv's good for emergency toilet stops and tampons! As we walked into class this morning, we were greeted by hugs from our other friends in our English class. I considered myself really lucky to have people who care for me so much at school. It brought a smile to my face.

"Whatcha smiling at?" Liv asked me.

"Nothing, just thinking about Mr Cave's face when he sees George's homework!" I lied.

I didn't lie because I didn't want them to know how much I appreciate their care. I just didn't want to be teased for going all soppy on them. And George's homework was pretty funny - we'd had to write a piece on current events, so he put his name on top of a newspaper.