Chapter 2 - Adam Levy

It took me months to get over Derek. Especially because he and Maggie decided to date despite the pain they were causing me. It didn't help that Derek continued to deny we were ever together. It was a mistake keeping our relationship hidden because now I look like an idiot crying over a guy who "wasn't" even my boyfriend. I was now attending Arvin high as a freshman and my sister was a senior. I have always been shy and the person who has always been there for me is her so I hung out that year with her and her friends. I met Adam a few years ago because he was my sister's friend. I immediately found him attractive but I didn't have any romantic feelings towards him. However, one of her other friends, Seth, caught my eye. He was funny and sweet. I was crushing on him really bad. The school year ended and I decided to tell Seth how I felt through MySpace (I was too chicken to say it in person and yes, I was on MySpace). My fingers were sweating and I could feel them tremble against the keyboard as I figured out what to type.
'Hey Seth (:'
'Hi Vanessa!' (It's a bit of an inside joke but he thought my name was Vanessa for half the school year. I guess it somewhat rhymes with Penelope? Just kidding, my name is Melissa so I can see how he got it confused).
'I can't believe you guys graduated already! I'm going to miss you!'
'I know me too! You were really fun to hang out with! Especially that time we trash canned you (;'
'HA-HA, very funny -.- No, but seriously. You guys were the best. I hate that the year ended already because I won't see my crush for a while :/' I can't believe I actually did it.
'You have a crush? :O'
'Yeah /.\'
'Who?!'
'I can't say haha'
'Vanessaaaaa tell me! I won't say (:'
'Fine! Well..... It's you /.\'
My heart nearly burst out of my chest as I realized I had pressed send. What have I done?! Is it too late to take it back? Oh my goodness, he's not replying. I probably freaked him out. What do I do now? Is he still going to want to hang out with me? What if... My thoughts were interrupted when I looked at the screen and noticed he was typing.
'Awe Vanessa. I think you are a sweet girl and incredible. And I'd totally date you if I was into girls :/'
Into girls? Into girls? Into. Girls. It took my brain a while to register what he just said. What a horrible joke to play! I mean if he's not into me then he can just say so!
'That's messed up. If you're not into me you can just say it. You don't have to pretend to be gay :/'
'Haha, you're adorable. I'm serious though. I've liked boys since I was little'
'Oh goodness I'm sorry! It's just that... Well you didn't seem gay and nobody ever told me'
'It's okay (: I don't tell many people about it. But don't worry, you'll find somebody (;'
'I definitely won't be looking for a while haha'
We continued to chat for a little longer. I had to finish cleaning so I ended the conversation. Wow, he's gay. I then thought about my sister. That little! Ugh! How could she not tell me?! She knew I liked him! I heard the front door open and I immediately stomped towards the kitchen. My sister arrived from work but I was about to give her a piece of my mind!
"You're an ass!"
"Gee, hi to you too."
"Why didn't you tell me?!"
"What are you talking about?"
"Seth."
"What about him?"
"Oh I don't know? Maybe the fact that HE'S GAY!"
She looked at me and started laughing. This went on for about five more minutes.
"Wait... How did you find out?"
"Well. I... I kinda... I told him I had a crush on him..."
"You what?! Haha."
Great. Here we go again. Another five minutes of my sister laughing at me went by.
"Awh dude I'm sorry. I didn't want you get hurt. Besides it was kinda funny!"
"You're a jerk! I hate you. Well not really but still! Right now I do!"
"Hey we're gonna go bowling with Adam in a bit so get ready."
"This isn't over!"
I got ready and the whole car ride I didn't speak to my sister. We arrived at the bowling ally and Adam was already there waiting for us. We went inside and waited for the counter dude to hand us our shoes. We chose the lane all the way in the far end where it was lonelier. After we each went to go pick out a bowling ball we began to bowl.
"Hey why is Mely so serious?" Adam pointed out. I simply scoffed.
"Haha, she's had a bad day."
"Why what happened?"
I hated that they were talking about me like if I wasn't even there.
"You better not say anything Steph!"
"Dude tell me!" Adam insisted.
Since they were best friends I was sure she was going to tell him anyways.
"Well she admitted to the guy she was crushing on that she liked him. But he's gay and she didn't now."
Adam's face was blank but I noticed a smirk building on his lips. That jerk! Just as I suspected, he began laughing. What is this? National 'Laugh at Mely' Day or something?!
"Dude haha that haha sucks haha."
"You guys are jerks!" I yelled.
"Awh widdle baby is upset?" Adam teased.
"Don't patronize me you butthole!"
They were both laughing at this point so I gave in and laughed too. I mean, now that I think about it, it's funny. Adam, Steph and I continued to hang out. We would go to the movies, bowling, Six Flags and any other fun place. I started developing feelings for Adam. However, he was older than me and my sister's best friends so I couldn't be with him. It just didn't feel right. One night, we were at our house watching a movie in my sister's room and he was sitting along the header of the bed and my sister was laying down on the end of the bed while I was sitting down between them. I felt a warm hand on the small area of my back and I tensed up but at the same time it felt nice. I could feel his fingers gently moving up and down on the area. The movie ended and my sister went to the kitchen to wash the dishes. I was in shock and didn't know what to do. I could quickly leave the room and help my sister or I can stay here with him and see where this goes. I thought about my sister and I realized I couldn't date her best friend. I stood up and made me way toward the door when I felt a hand grab mine and pull me back. I was now inches away from Adam.
"What are you doing? I need to go help Steph." I whispered.
"You can't leave yet."
"Why not?"
"Because of this."
He leaned in closer and kissed my forehead.
"And this."
He said as he kissed my cheek.
"A little bit of this."
He teased as he kissed the tip of my nose.
"Finally, some of this."
He put his arms around my waist and pressed his lips against mine. My first instinct was to pull away but the kiss was luring me in and I couldn't. After what seemed like an eternity I finally pulled away.
"Why did you do that?"
"Because I like you Mely. I like you a lot."
"What about Steph?"
"What about her?"
"You're her best friend. I can't do that to her."
I walked out of the room and went to the kitchen to help my sister. She didn't like him romantically but I still felt guilty.
He was walking out but he had forgotten something in the room so my sister asked me to take it to him. He was already by his car when I walked outside.
"Hey you forgot your wallet. You might not want to be driving without it" I laughed.
"Thanks."
He looked sad so I walked close to him, got on my tiptoes and kissed him.
"I like you too."
He left and for a few days things continued that way. We would try to sneak in kisses every chance we had. I felt guilty but I really liked him. My sister invited him to church one day and I told him we needed to talk. I walked outside and he later followed.
"What are we doing? We can't keep doing this" I argued.
"We can't tell anybody. It has to be our little secret."
"Why?"
"Because I'm older than you. And like you said, your sister might not be too happy about us. I really like you but we can't tell anybody. Okay Mely?"
He was right. He was already 18 years old and I was 14. He could get into trouble for being with me.
"Okay."
It started to rain and he pulled me closer.
"Don't worry babe. There will still be plenty of these" he said as he kissed me.
Little did I know, that'd be the last real kiss he'd give me. He walked inside and I stayed outside a little longer to admire the sky. A few days passed by and Adam had invited us to his house. When we arrived there was already a girl inside. I figured she was just a friend but I later found out she was his girlfriend. All this time he had been playing me. What was left of my heart shattered to pieces. I handed him what was left of it and he just crushed it as if it was nothing. On our way back home I began to cry and my sister pulled the car over.
"Hey... What's wrong?"
"Nothing. I just have a headache" I lied. More like a heartache.
"Mely, I noticed you got serious when he introduced his girlfriend. What's going on?"
I explained that past few weeks to my sister. I expected her to be angry at me but she wasn't. She just pulled me in for a hug. A few weeks passed by and I realized Adam hadn't been around lately.
"Hey... You haven't talked to Adam?"
"Yeah. We're not friends anymore."
"Why not? Is it because of me? Dude, no. You're best friends. I'll get over it."
"It's not that."
"Then what is it?"
"Well I confronted him. Everything you told me and..."
"And?"
"He denied it. All of it. He said you were lying."
"What?! Dude I swear I'm telling the truth."
" I know. And I believe you. You're my little sister. It's my job to protect you. So we're not friends anymore"
"I'm sorry" I cried.
"It's not you're fault. If he was my best friend he would've admitted it."
I felt guilty, angry and disgusted. How can this happen to me all over again? Apparently I didn't learn from my past experience with Derek. Never keep a relationship hidden because there are consequences. It felt like déjà vu all over again. I really like this guy. Yet he turned out to be worse than the first. Although our story was short, it still hurt. Once again, I laid on my bed and cried.Then... I fell asleep.