Prologue

Gosh... Where do I begin? I guess I'll start with talking a little bit about myself. I've always had bad luck with guys. Since I'm starting from the beginning, I suppose I should call the 'boys'. After all, I was only a child when I had my first few crushes. Charlie Earlwood, the boy with the nicely pressed shirts and well groomed hair. Not to mention those adorable overalls he always wore to school. I was probably in Second grade when I thought this little boy was by far the cutest kid at school. At the young age of... how old are you during second grade? For the sake of this story let's just say I was 7. Anyways, I always tried to spend my recess and lunch with Charlie and before we knew it, we became the best of friends. Then it happened... the whimsical saying started spreading like wildfire. "Girls/boys have cooties". Before we all hung out together we would "protect" ourselves by chanting 'Circle Circle Dot Dot Now I Got My Cootie Shot' since none of us wanted to catch the unspeakable disease. Half way though second grade, my heart shattered into a million pieces. My Charlie was going to move away and be out of my life forever. And just like that, he was gone. Half way through third grade I moved away as well. A new journey was in store for me at Subaru Elementary. I made a new friend within days, Debby Summers. She later introduced me to her little group of friends and that's when I laid eyes on him for the first time. Perry Matthews had his hair nicely combed to the side. I noticed a very distinct little mole above his lip. He smiled and politely extended his hand to welcome me. I was having a great time at that school but once again fate had different plans for little ol' me. It was a few days before Valentine's Day when Perry pulled me to the side. My heart started pounding anxiously waiting for him to ask me to be his Valentine. It was easy to tell he was nervous so I grabbed his hand just for reassurance. He finally build up the courage to say, "Do you think Debby will want to be my Valentine?" I quickly released his hand. Of course, why am I not surprised that this is happening to me. I finally answered with a simple "Maybe". Valentine's Day finally came around and not only did Perry bring Debby a gift so did Jack, another member of our group. There we were, four 8 year olds stuck in a love triangle... I guess it was more of a square if you think about it. I liked Perry but Perry liked Debby and Debby liked Jack who also liked Debby. The third grade finally ended and I was off to a new school for fourth grade. Yay me. Just to be clear, I wasn't moving schools because of my unsuccessful love life. My mom's line of work required us to move a lot. I was about to begin fourth grade at Ronald Reagan. I promised myself I would not crush on anybody this time. However that quickly changed as soon as I stepped into the classroom and saw Oscar Hernandez. He had adorable chubby cheeks even though he was thin and petite. I sat next to him and we quickly became friends. We would always eat lunch together and hang out during recess. Our little group slowly started to grow and now it was Oscar, Edgar, Elizabeth, Anna, Sarah and I. Shortly before fourth grade ended, Oscar and I were sitting by a water fountain. I'm not sure how our conversation began but I remember he asked me if I liked someone. I answered yes but then he asked who. I was contemplating whether I should admit that I liked him or not. I then started to think about the pain I felt when Charlie moved away and how Perry liked Debby instead of me. I didn't think I could handle another heartbreak and I was moving again after summer vacation so I quickly answered "Edgar". Then the bell rang and we had to storm off to class. I never did confess my feelings for Oscar Hernandez and once school ended, I never heard from him again. I wished with all my heart that fifth grade at Alicante would be different. To my surprise, it was different. I met Luke Faith and he was the one to approach me first. We quickly became pals and everything was going great until Abby came along. When the school year started she had her eyes set on Luke and it wasn't until I overheard her friends trying to hook them up that I realized she was trying to take him away. It was recess, Abby and I had sharpened our claws and we're ready to rumble when a yard aide quickly stepped in between us and sent us straight to the Principal's Office. I had never been in trouble before. I was always a straight A's student, in Honor Roll and occasionally Student of the Month. As soon as we walked into the office I began to cry. The principal didn't call our parents but she handed us a warning slip. Before we left she gave us a wise piece of advice, she said "No guy at your age is worth fighting about". Abby and I walked out of that office, looked at each other and laughed. Abby turned at simply said "You can have him". I smiled and answered "Nah, I'm okay". We smiled and walked back to class. Friendships have a weird way of forming. Luke, Abby and I remained friends for the rest of the school year. Unfortunately, I had to move once again. I never forgot what the principal said that day and I vouched I wouldn't have a boyfriend anytime soon. And that was the case, until...