Chapter 4 - John Whitman

Almost two months had passed since Ric and I parted ways. We stopped talking during the beginning of summer so I didn't have to worry about running into him at school. I texted him once around my birthday and it didn't go as planned so I decided to just leave him alone. I missed him but I didn't want to force him into a friendship I couldn't handle. I was on my Bible Chat app talking to other youth about my testimony when I checked my inbox and I had a new message from a guy named John Whitman. According to his profile picture he looked really attractive. He was light completed and he had green eyes. I've always been a sucker for colored eyes. I opened the message.
'Hello ma'am how are you?'
Ma'am? Wow, he's respectful. In the photo, I also noticed he was wearing a camouflage uniform.
'Hey (: I'm great and you? Are you in the army?' I replied.
'Great as well. No, I'm actually in the Airforce.'
We continued to talk and after a few days we exchanged cell phone numbers. He was charming and I immediately felt attracted to him. However, I needed to be cautions because we did meet through an app. I was skeptical about texting him so I downloaded a texting app and started texting him from there before I sent him my real number. After all, he could be a predator or something. We got to know each other a little better and he told me he was 22 and he stationed in Louisiana. He recently went through a bad break up. His fiancée left him for another guy. That's when I realized we had a lot in common. Granted, my fiancée didn't leave me for someone else. I didn't even have a fiancé. However, I had been unlucky in the love department for some time now. We continued to talk for a few weeks and he insisted on us Skyping. Part of me knew it was a good idea because I could finally find out who this guy was. I agreed but I decided to tell my parents. After the whole Ric situation, I decided not to keep anything from them. I finally told them about John and how we met. I also filled them in on us thinking about Skyping but I wanted them to talk to him first. In case he was a freaky old man. Monday night finally came around and we set up the Skype call. As soon as I dialed his number, I disappeared from the screen and I handed my laptop over to my parents. I froze as I waited for his face to appear on the screen, or somebody else's face. I was relieved when I saw him. It was actually him. My parents greeted him and he responded in Spanish (I had been giving him lessons). They talked for a while before he saw me. I finally appeared on the screen and mumbled
"Hi"
"Hi you. I didn't think I was going to see you"
"Sorry about that" I laughed "I wanted my parents to make sure you weren't a creep before you had the honor of speaking to me"
"It's okay. I understand. At least I see you now"
We Skyped for almost 2 hours. Since there was a a 2 hour difference between us, he had to say goodnight. I was about to fall asleep when my phone signaled an incoming text message.
'It was really nice finally seeing you. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Goodnight beautiful (:'
I swooned. It was the first time in a while I was going to sleep with a smile on my face. We made a habit out of Skyping every Monday nights. With each passing day I continued to like him more and more. I could tell the feeling was mutual. We had been talking for a few months and I had bought a PS3 for my brother and John asked me to log on because he wanted to show me a maze he built in Minecraft. After hours of trying to get through the darn maze, I finally surrendered and he guided me to the finish line. My brother had been helping him build a cave so I had to wait before getting my prize. Once they were finished I entered the cave and I saw a chest that contained a diamond suit for my character but behind the chest there was a sign that read 'I love you Mely'. We were Skyping at the time but I was in shock that he was the first to say it. We ended the call and it finally hit me, I replied with a simple "Awe". Before I went to sleep I decided to send him a video where I held a notebook and a song played in the background and it ended with an 'I love you too'. It was true. I had fallen deeply for this guy. Unfortunately, the honeymoon stage eventually ends. A few weeks later we were texting and he suddenly stopped replying. I let a few hours pass by before I texted him again. Nothing. I figured he was busy so even though I was upset, I understood he was busy. He told me he was going out for a friend's birthday party. The day ended and I still had not heard from him so I texted him 'Goodnight John. I hope you're okay.' The next day came along and there was still no message from him. I was now worried because anything could've happened. The worse part was the distance, I wouldn't know if he was okay or not. After what seemed like an eternity he replied. I was relieved but mad at the same time. He acted as if nothing was wrong but I didn't feel like arguing. I simply replied 'If you don't want to text then that's okay. Just let me know so I won't have to be worrying'. We texted for a little longer and once again he decide to fall off the face of the earth. I was annoyed so I decided to just not bother with him. I suddenly came across a picture on his Instagram in which he was hanging out with another girl. I have never been the jealous type but I realized that there was something going on there. Especially because he had been really distant lately. I did the only thing I could. I texted him.
'Well I just told you that if you didn't want to talk then you should just tell me. But you don't. You just disappear, again. I'm done. You clearly have your hands occupied with someone else so I'm not going to bother.'
'What are you talking about? The picture? She's just a friend.'
We continued arguing for hours until I decided to just go to bed. I was falling asleep when he finally replied.
'I don't know why you're jealous. I'm tired of arguing so maybe we should just take some time off.'
'Whatever.'
We didn't talk for a few days and I was going to text him when I saw he posted a picture where he was on a date with a girl. The same girl he said was only a 'friend'. I was heart broken. How is it possible that he reeled me in just to discard me? My heart couldn't take it anymore. As upset as I was, I didn't cry. I couldn't. I deleted him from my life. A week had passed and I was finally moving on but then he texted me.
'I'm really sorry'
I decided not to reply.
'I'm not expecting you to take me back but I'm sorry.'
'What happened with Roe?'
'She was just using me.'
'Ha. Sounds familiar doesn't it?'
'I deserve that...'
'No. You deserve worse than that.'
'I'm sorry.'
'I read it the first time. I'm sorry for what happened to you. Even though you deserved it. But I just can't talk to you right now.'
'I understand...'
I felt bad for him. I knew he did feel bad for choosing her over me. I didn't blame him though because she was closer to him. Long distance relationships are hard to maintain. I decided to give him another chance.
'Hey, maybe we can try to be friends.'
'Okay. Friends it is (:'
We texted for about a week and once again, he vanished. Two days passed without hearing from him. This time, I was more angry that worried. He decided to appear and text me.
'Hey Mely'
'Hey? Are you serious?'
'What'
'Well you vanish after we just discussed how it makes me worry last week. Not to mention everything that happened. I mean, really?'
'Are we doing this again? Do you know how good it feels to just set your phone aside and not depend on it so much? You should try it. You feel free. That's what I was doing.'
What? That doesn't even...ugh! Okay, two days?
'Actually no. We're not doing this again. We're done doing anything. Unfortunately, I don't trust you. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and once again you don't take into consideration what I tell you. I'm done.'
He tried to talk to me but I just shut him out. I looked on his Instagram page and once again, he was hanging out with another girl. A girl he had spent the last two days with. While he was missing. There's no way I was doing this again. This time I laid on my bed and felt nothing. I wasn't sad and I didn't cry. I just fell asleep.