Saved, Again

Deep in thought I let my body soak in the cold water. It was soothing against  my fever-warm skin and the dark bruises that littered my body, some from the attack, some from days before. The cut on my stomach hurt and it was swollen and red, probably infected, most likely the reason for my light fever.
I stayed in the water for what felt like hours, just relaxing and cooling my body down. The cold water also clearing my mind.

As soon as the witcher returned from his hunt I would tell him everything about my past, and try to convince him to leave this shitty town as fast as possible, taking me with him. Even his monster-hunting life would be safer for me than staying in this town for longer than necessary.

I got out of the tub eventually, dried myself off and contemplated what to do next.

The sun had already started to rise, its first rays lighting up the horizon in a mix of purple, orange and pink.
I smiled, it's been long since I was able to enjoy the sunrise.
For the past six years sunrise had meant preparing to work, the first costumers would come shortly after breakfast. I shudder at that thought.

Or I just shuddered because I was fucking cold. The cold water had cooled my body down more than I intended.

Finally knowing what I should do I took some logs of wood from the basket next to the fireplace and tried to revive the fire, which was miraculously still on, the ash glowing red. Once the flame was big enough to not be blown out my the slightest movement of air I grabbed the blanket off the bed, wrapped it around me and layed down in front of the fire. Dozing off while staring into the fire the color of the dancing flames reminded me of the eyes of my savior. Wondering when he'd return I fell asleep.

***

I woke up to the thump of something soft but heavy hitting the ground. Startled I opened my eyes just to find myself back on the bed and the witcher standing next to it, currently ridding himself of his black leather armor.

"Thank you," I whispered, for what I don't really know. For putting me back on the bed? For saving me?

Realizing I was awake, Geralt turned his head and smiled at me ever so slightly. But that smile quickly faded as he heard something from outside the door, too quiet for my ears to hear.
He positioned himself protectively in front of the bed, sword within reach, as the door burst open.
I quickly covered my head with the blanket, not wanting to see the person who just came in.

"Where is she?!" hollered that voice that made my stomach turn.

"Where is that whore? I know you're hiding her, witcher! Either pay for her or give her back!" My master kept on yelling, while Geralt just stood there calmly, giving me enough confidence to peek out from under the blanket, careful not to be noticed by that ugly, fat man that turned red whenever something was only slightly exhausting, who I called my master for the last six years.

Finally the witcher spoke. "Let. Her. Go." came a low growl from the tall man with the golden eyes. A threat.

"I will not. She is my own. I baught her! She will come with me and pay for running away." came the hysterical answer of the fat man.

"And how exactly will that payment look like?" asked the witcher, clearly challenging my keeper.

"She will get what she deserves. A rope around her neck."

"So, you will not let her go, but if I give her back to you, you'll hang her?" scoffed the witcher. "How much for her freedom?"

"She's a whore, she doesn't have any 'freedom'. Pay for her or hand her to me", replied my master.

"How much for her then?" Geralt asked calmly, having the upper hand in this. Even without his armor that added to his size he was a huge man, and the blood of the freshly killed monster still all over him made him at least ten times more intimidating.

"100," came the quick reply.

"50" said the witcher with a low growl.

"85"

"50"

"65"

"50"

"60"

"40"

"45, " said my master.
The witcher grunted. "Deal."

He gave my former keeper the coin and stared him down until the short man fled from the room, slamming the door shut as he left. After the hurried footsteps disappeared out of Geralt's earshot he turned to me.

"I'm gonna take a bath. And after that you're gonna tell my what that was all about. Understood?"
I nodded. Then, when he stepped into the washroom I remenbered. "About your bath... Uhm, I hope you don't mind that I used the water." I said quietly, scared of how he might react.

He half-turned to look at me, expression unreadable. "I knew you would. Before I came up here I orderes hot water, it should arrive soon. Enough time for you to get dressed."
For me to ge- nah fuck. I forgot to put on my dress after my bath.
The witcher threw me my dress, that he picked up from the washroom floor.
"You're gonna need a new one, this is all ripped," he commented. With that he closed the washroom door, leaving me alone to get dressed.
I heard splashing from that room. He was emptying the tub, pouring bucket after bucket out of the window. I giggled to myself. Maybe he didn't care that much.

Soon enough three maids came in, each carrying two buckets of steaming hot water. Geralt opened the washroom door for them stepping outside to let them pour the water into the tub. His muscular chest and arms were littered with scars. Big ones, small ones, flat ones and those that look like a relief (A.N.: the pictures chiseled in stone). While other women would find this insanely hot, all I could think was how sorry I was for him. Sure, he had the body of a god, but all these scars... Behind each of them was a sad and painful story.

The maids came out of the washroom, each of them taking a good long look at the handsome, half naked witcher, before shooting me a dirty look and finally leaving.

"Enjoy your bath," I said to the witcher as he made his way towards the steaming tub. With an awknowleding nod of his head and a small smile on his lips he closed to door.

A few minutes later there was knock on the door. I went to open it and there were two maids again one of them holding two plates of freshly baked bread and few pieces of cheese, and the other with two jugs, one filled with ale, the other with water. "Another order for the witcher," the one to enter the room first said. Nodding I pointed them over to the table, where they set down the food and the drinks and looked at me expectantly.
"It's already payed," came the witcher's loud rumbling voice. He must have sensed the impatience of the maids. They left without saying anything else, and closed the door behind them.

That was when I realized how hungry I was. The last time I ate was the noon when I escaped, days ago. But being the good girl my father had raised I knocked on the washroom's door first, holding a pint of ale. The witcher took it gladly. "You know, you can eat. You don't have to wait for anything. I'm sorry that I didn't think about that earlier. You must be starving."

And with that i turned, took a plate and sat on the bed to nibble on the bread. I left the door open on purpose, so none of us had to eat or drink alone. We sat in silence for a long time, until it started to become dark outside, making me realize how tired I had become.
I put the plate back on the table, having barely touched the cheese, not because I didn't like it, but because I didn't know I my starved stomach could take the fat. I put the pieces of cheese on the other plate, my way of saying 'thank you'. In my life food has always been rare, so sharing food was one of the biggest gestures for me. I know that the man had still payed for the food, but something told me that he would understand my gesture nonetheless.

After what happened today I desperately needed sleep, no matter how much I had slept the days before.
I cuddled up in bed, feeling safe in the presence of the witcher, who, for the second time in just a few days, had saved me from certain death.

_______________________________________

Niennas past will be in the next chapter, stay tuned