Savior

My screams of fear were the first thing he heard.

He was on his way to a small town that was rumored to be plagued by some kind of monster. Probably one or two miles, then he would reach it, and he could not wait to fall into a real bed after being on the road for so long. He wouldn't sleep though, it has been a problem as of late, he couldn't sleep. No matter how tired he was, now matter how exhausted, he couldn't seem to fall asleep.

He heard the screams again, full of fear and pain. He stopped his horse.

Next to the dusty road was nothing, on the right side there was grass, just tall grass for as far as his enhanced golden could see, lightly swaying in the breeze. On the left side though were trees - too scattered to be called a forest but too dense to be called "just a group of trees". And that was where the screaming came from. From deep inside the thicket of trees.

For all he knew the monster that was supposed to be hunting somewhere around here could be attacking its next victim, and wasn't that why he came here, after all? To rid the small town of the monster, and be awarded with coin in exchange? It was his job after all. Not the one he chose, but he has known nothing else.

So he dismounted his mare and made his way into the trees. The deeper he got, the louder became the screaming - a young girl he supposed. But there were also other voices; laughing, mocking voices.
Soon enough he was close to the voices, so close that he could see what was going on.
Two men were hitting and kicking a screaming - and by now sobbing - bundle of cloth in the grass.
These men were not the type of monster he'd normally hunt, and they probably weren't the reason he came here, but they were still monsters, worse even than the ones he hunted, as they were human.

Monsters, the kinds of monster he hunted couldn't really control their actions, they acted out of instinct. Sire they were dangerous and killed people, but only because said people were invading the creatures' area.
Humans on the other hand chose to act the way they act. They are the true beasts.

He decided to step in.
"Hey, leave off!" These were the first words I heard from him. "Leave her alone!" yelled the same deep voice.
"Why, she's a whore? It's not like she stops being one once she's out of town," said one man, while facing the newcomer. "Only difference is, we don't have to pay!" snickered the other.

I was still cowered on the ground, laying in fetal position and holding my head to protect me as much from the hits and kicks as I could. Since the man with the deep voice had spoken, the beating has stopped, and I was brave enough to lift my head a little and peek though my fingers. To no avail, as all three men stood behind my back and I would not dare to turn my head any further, let alone turn my body completely. I could see their shadows though, hard to distinguish from those of the trees, but clear enough to picture what was going on, the sounds coming from the men making it even easier.

The sound of metal dragging over metal startled me and i cowered my head back into the protective embrace of my hands. It sounded like a sword being pulled from its sheath. Oh gods, what is happening??

"I won't ask again. Leave, and I won't use this," the deep voice spoke again - though gritted teeth this time. Even thought I knew he was defending me, or at least I hoped so - it scared me.

The intimidation seemed to work on my assaulters as well, as i heard two pairs of feet distancing from me - too slow to be called running but yet too fast to be simply described as walking. The footsteps were accompanied by the men's muttering, "next time she won't have a man to come and save her," and "that lucky whore," were just some of the things I heard before their voices faded in the distance.

Now that the adrenaline wore off I felt each end every spot on my body that they had kicked or hit. Thanks to the deep-voiced stranger they were not able to beat me into submission and have their way with me. But it wouldn't have taken much more, I could already feel my vision fading. I heard another pair of feet running towards me now, making their way around me and coming to a stop in front of my cowering frame.

I was surely crying by now, but if I did I couldn't feel it. I could only feel the pain that my shaking body had to endure.
Peeking through my fingers I saw the stranger kneeling down in front of me, not directly in front of my face, as if not to scare me. I saw a hand slowly reaching for mine, that were still hiding my face from his sight.

"Don't be frightened, girl. If I was to hurt you, I would have done it by now. "

How reassuring...

His hand came to a halt only a few inches before my own, waiting for me to lower them by myself. I did as I was expected to, cautiously, and cast my eyes downward, not looking at the stranger. To be honest, by now my vision was fading on and off, so that I could not focus on anything, even if I wanted to.

The stanger lowered himself a little more. "Ah, there we go. Don't worry, you are safe now. I will protect you, " his deep voice rumbled through my ears. Collecting all strength in my beaten body I lifted my gaze to look at my savior. But my vision would have none of that. The last thing I saw before drifting off into unconsciousness were a set of concerned golden eyes.

_______________________________________

Hello, i hope you liked it so far.
As mentioned in the description, i don't really know where to go with this story, so I'll update irregularly on this.
~Lisa