Chapter Two

Sheer thrill fed her soul. She couldn’t wait to tell him that they were going to be going to the same college. She had always hated him for being smarter yet lazier. Yet, he got the better grades. He told her that all people learned differently and that she had her achievements but she never listened to him. She knew one thing for sure. Going to college with him would prove that she was just as smart if not smarter than he was.

Running into the band hall she slammed into a sophomore and apologized. In fact, she lent her hand out to help him up. Normally, she wouldn’t care but today she was overwhelmed by the acceptance to the college that she felt out of place.

Feeling the potential energy in her legs to run up to him and scream it she stopped herself by seeing a clarinet. Right! Fletcher! A smile spread across her face as she observed everyone. No one knew she was overjoyed. Maybe he knew. But he wouldn’t tell anyone. Lock hitting the floor, she took out her clarinet case and placed it on a chair nearby. There, she pieced together her beauty and stored the case away for one of the last times of her life. The girl laid Fletcher down to rest on her chair once she was done and smiled at him. Don’t worry Fletcher. It’s not over yet.

Now she could explode. Running over to him, she grinned as she saw him get up. Of course he wasn’t paying attention to her. Even after all these years, he was always in his own world. Never expecting someone to always want to be a part of it. She tried to get him used to it but like always he overlooked it.

“Slaughter!” She screamed and embraced him.

Surprised, like always, Slaughter looked down. So, there was a girl that would run up to him this year. Even if it were for the last day. Slaughter smirked and hug the girl back. She was the one he could never tell. Never. As much as he wanted to… Some secrets were meant to stay secrets.

“We’re going to the same university!” She grinned.

Slaughter looked at the girl blankly. Her name was Denise. Slaughter never knew what Denise’s problem was but she always challenged him and rarely did he ever lose to a challenge that she proposed. Why he seemed to always win he didn’t know. Although, he did seem very close to Denise. He didn’t know what brought her into his life but he seemed to enjoy it. She somehow sparked up his day.

“That’s great.” Slaughter said with a smile.

Little did she know that he wasn’t accepted.

“I can’t wait!” Her grin pierced his heart. “We get to hang out more!”

You can’t tell her. A part of him screamed. What would she think if she knew? ‘I wasn’t accepted because of my mental record?’ What’s that going to make her think? Instead, Slaughter decided against it. He couldn’t see her in pain. She could always tell when he was. Except when it was about her of course. In reaction to her words Slaughter did the best he could.

“Yeah.” Slaughter said with a smile that somehow worked past her eagerness to always figure him out.

“I can’t wait for graduation after school!”

Slaughter raised an eyebrow. Oh yea, that was right. This year the graduation was on a Friday. This was only because no one planned anything except graduation. Today would be the day to prepare them for it. While seniors did absolutely nothing but talk about how their lives would be the day after.

Slaughter looked into Denise’s eyes, “I can.” He said with a sigh which was luckily covered by the bell.