Chapter Five

Slaughter stared at himself in the mirror. He was wearing a tux and his graduation gown, navy blue with a forest green trimming. The first and last time he would wear it. Another sigh came from his lips.

“It’s okay, man.” Someone assured from behind him.

Looking into the mirror Slaughter realized it was a band kid he had never realized was a senior.

“Em…” Slaughter replied.

“Don’t worry, Slaughter. I’m sure that things will work out.”

That moment he gave in. Slaughter told the kid everything. He was surprised he didn’t cry. He told him about his mental record, his family’s way of living—how hard it was on him, the jobs, the love of school, Denise. Slaughter breathed after he mentioned Denise. Did he actually care about her that much? He never thought about her that way. Then again, a part of him always wanted to tell her things.

“Whoa.” Was the kid’s first reaction. “So you already have a heads up.”

What?! Slaughter screamed in his head, “What do you mean?”

“You already have two jobs and you’re about to get a third.”

Slaughter nodded.

“You have the money situation down.” Seeing that Slaughter was paying attention the kid went on, “You have a bank account that you’ve saved money on for a while. So your money worry is gone.”

Slaughter smirked, “Well—“

“I understand that it’s hard for you.” The guy continued. “I don’t have that situation and I’m happy I don’t but just because something you did all those years ago effects who you are now? Now that’s just wrong. I mean—everyone changes.”

Slaughter sighed, “Yea. And I wasn’t even that bad…”

The guy nodded, “But that the fact you did it… And not a lot of people admit to it… Makes you the better man.”

“You have to be kidding.” Slaughter replied without hiding his thoughts.

“No, I’m being serious!” the guy exclaimed, “I would never admit that I was cutting myself and why I was to anyone if I did it. Never less would I tell anyone if I was hurting because of them. You have to have guts for that.”

Slaughter shook his head, “It’s just instincts.”

“Exactly! Your family taught you to be honest, loyal, and trustworthy just as well as determined by showing you that they didn’t know how to be those things. Yes, they may not be honest. They may not be loyal. They may not be trustworthy. But they were determined to stay the way they were. Another word for that is being stubborn but in your case it’s determined because you haven’t gave up yet have you?”

Slaughter stared at the kid. Why didn’t they talk before?

“And Denise…”

Slaughter sighed, “Look, I—don’t know where that came from she’s just a friend.”

The guy laughed, “Of course she is.”

A blank stare came in reply.

“I’ll let you figure that one out of you own.” The guy said with a smile.

Slaughter smirked, “How do you know my name yet I don’t know yours.”

“Name’s Shadow and you’ve known me forever. I said that I’m happy that I’m not in that situation. That’s only technical though.”

Slaughter blinked and found himself staring into the mirror again--the same people in the background changing into their tuxes. Shadow huh? Who would of thought.