Chapter Thirteen

The cool winter wind blew against my face, sending chills up my spine, as I sat on the cold metal bench right next to the basketball court Dana was practicing basketball on. It was after school on a Thursday, and somehow Dana convinced me to come all the way out in the cold to watch him play, and prepare for his big game that was coming up.

"Are you close to done yet? It's freezing out here." I whined helplessly, rubbing the sides of my shoulders for warmth.

"Just give me a few more minutes. I want to get these shots down." He told me, taking about her shot on the basket. I groaned slightly, tugging tightly on my clothes, hoping for a little bit more warmth.

"And how are you cold? You're still wearing my jacket, aren't you?" His focused stare turned into a devious smirk.

"Well, it's comfortable. You shouldn't have gave it to me if you thought you were getting it back." I smiled brightly at him with a slight blush, hugging the soft fabric.

"So, how did you get so good at basketball?" I asked, pulling out a pen and paper from my bag.

"I used to practice everyday after school, but it got harder when I had to start taking care of Tiana after school." He explained.

"I wish I could have played basketball when I was younger." I sighed to myself.

"Wait, you have never played basketball before?" Dana asked, filled with shock, as he took another shot on the basketball hoop.

"I wouldn't say never. I played a bit when I was younger, but my parents were more focused on school than staying active." I replied, reminiscing on my days when I actually had fun outside of school.

"I couldn't imagine a life without basketball." He added, backing up as he took another shot, landing it straight in.

Dana also happened to be a basketball star, at least in my eyes. He shot repeatedly, making basket after basket. He mentioned earlier how he was playing on his schools varsity basketball team, and was hoping to be picked Captain after their upcoming game.

"How long have you been playing?" I asked him, watching his complete focus on the ball.

"Since I was a kid. My dad showed me when I could first hold a ball, and I've played since then." His face tensed slightly at the word 'Dad' for reasons I didn't understand. I was tempted into asking him about it, but I let it brush past me, not wanting to start an awkward conversation.

"Do you want to play a bit?" Dana offered, holding the ball towards me.

"Oh no, thanks. I'm really not that good." I shook my head, backing away from his reach.

"Come on, I'll teach you. You taught me to skate, I'll teach you to play basketball." He reached his hand out to me, that charming white smile on his face making me practically melt inside.

"I guess." I whispered nervously, taking his hand and standing up from the cold bench.

He led me over to the court, handing me the basketball. "Here, take a shot." He took a few steps back, leaving me to my work.

"I haven't played in years." I explained again for clarification, before placing the ball in both my hands, pushing the ball up toward the basket.

It felt like years till the ball hit the basket, and when it did, it barely even hit the rim. I cringed a bit, watching the ball slowly bounce away to the side, Dana chasing after it.

"I told you so." I focused my eyes down on my shoes, my cheeks lighting up in embarrassment.

"It was good, you just need to work on your form a bit." He added, handing the ball to me, then stepping behind me.