Chapter Eleven

It had been two weeks since my last visit at the hospital to see Bryan. I went back to Dana's a few times, getting to meet his mother formally this time. She and Dana hadn't argued like they did the first time, but I could feel the tension between the two the times she came home with the smell of alcohol on her breath.

Dana started to open up to me more, only with certain things though. He mainly kept to himself about his family and personal life, but one thing he loved to talk about was Tiana. She would constantly run into the room, sit on Dana's lap, tell him a quick story, and then run back into her room as if nothing ever happened. The way she made him smile could lift the heart of anyone, no matter how you perceived him.

I came to the conclusion that Dana wasn't really a rude person. Don't get me wrong, he's still stubborn, irritable, stiff, sarcastic and a complete ass when he's not in the mood. Besides all that, he was just a normal guy, taking care of his little sister and dysfunctional mother. For someone who's just 17, that's a lot, and I respect him for it.

Plus, he has his moments were he acted like a true gentleman. He seemed to be getting in the habit of opening the car door for me when we rode together. At first I told him it was fine, but he seemed to do it on impulse, so I just let him. It was kind of sweet of him. He still made crude jokes or sarcastic remarks about my 'wealth', but he was alright, I guess.

Dalton, on the other hand, was a different story. We still weren't on good terms. He completely refused to talk to me during the day, and I had suspicions that he may have blocked my phone number too. At school, he seemed to go out of his way to avoid me, and by now, I was completely done with it. I no longer tried getting on his good side. If he wanted to act like a child, he's going to be treated like one.

- - -

It was mid-afternoon on a Saturday. I slept in until about 2 pm, woken by the loud banging coming from my bedroom door.

"Harlem, wake up!" Sam's voice called out from behind the door.

"Go away, I'm sleeping!" I groaned, pulling the sheet covers over my head as if it were going to stop her loud mouth at all.

"Harlem, it's 2 in the afternoon. Don't make me come in there with a bucket of water." I groaned loudly, knowing that she was serious.

I rolled myself out of bed, literally, lying flat on the floor. I heard the soft creaking of the door hinges, as the door creaked open, followed by Sam's feet enter my room.

"Are you seriously on the floor?" She sighed, obviously disappointed.

"Don't judge my life decisions." I muttered into the carpet. She pulled on my arm, lifting me off the ground.

"Come on lazy butt, let's get us some breakfast." She dragged my limp body down the steps and into the kitchen.

When we reached the kitchen, I placed my head down on the dining table, fighting sleep.

"Why are you so tired?" Sam asked, fixing me a quick bowl of cereal. I shrugged, resting my head on my hand.

"I got in late last night from Dana's, and then had to do my last touches on my paper. Thanks for covering for me by the way." I smiled at her as she poured my cereal.

"Seems like I've been doing a lot of that lately. Anything going on, maybe?" Sam winked, still obsessed with this idea that I liked Dana.

"Trust me, it was nothing. We were playing a game with Tiana and I lost track of time. It's nothing." I rolled my eyes, throwing my feet up on the chair next to me.

"How come you won't invite Dana over here? I would love to meet him." She smirked to herself, grinning a little bit too much.

"I'd rather not have you terrorize my friend." I told her.