Chapter One

My eyes shot open as the sound of sirens blew threw my ear drums. Ugh. My hand slammed down onto the snooze button, groaning loudly as I sat up from my sheets. Half asleep, I shifted my weight into my legs, slowly shuffling to the closet in front of me. Swinging the closet doors open, I gazed upon my hideous school uniform.

Luckily, we were only required to wear it once a week, but today just happened to be the day for me. I slipped on the sleek black skirt, pulling my maroon jumper over my head, and fixing my knee high white socks.

I stood at the full length mirror, fixing my outfit. My eyes trailed down the outskirts of my somewhat curved body, examining every inch of my smooth brown skin. I look alright, I guess. Appearance wasn't one of my major worries. Who's there to impress?

My fingers grazed over my name that had been embroidered onto the jumper. Harlem.

Yes, Harlem. As in, Harlem, New York. Lord knows why my parents named me that of all things. Their excuse is that their love for the name Harlem was passed onto me. Personally, I think they just didn't care enough to give an actual name like Jane, or Isabella. What's wrong with those names?

We didn't even live in Harlem either, but we were close. We happened to live in one f the most expensive neighborhoods in all of New York, Upper East Side. Although I didn't live in Harlem, I was always close to my "hometown."

Picking up my book bag, I rushed downstairs to a lifeless living room. My father pushed into the corner of the room, on the phone, yelling at employees. My mother typing away on her computer intensely. Neither of them ever noticed my existence.

"Good morning, Mom. Good morning, Dad." My voice chimed, no response. I threw my book bag into the couch, heading into the kitchen.

"Harlem, what did I tell you about leaving your things laying around? A proper woman cleans up after herself." My mother nagged. I groaned loudly, putting my backpack onto my back again, too annoyed to deal with her at this hour.

Grabbing an apple, I sat upon the kitchen countertop, humming to myself as I took a bite. "Harlem, what are you doing?" My mother asked in a monotone voice, as her high heels clicked against the ceramic floor. "Just eating breakfast." I replied, with an annoyed tone. "You're going to be late, do you need me to drive you?" She offered.

I grinned to myself, she never offered to drive me to school, unless there was 6 feet of snow on the ground. Even then, she would usually send for a shuttle bus to put me on my way.

"That would act-" I started, cheery as ever. "Good, I didn't have time to drive you anyway. I'll be home by 8, be good now." She ordered, picking up her suitcase, and leaving as quickly as she had entered.

"I knew it was too good to be true."I sighed, throwing the apple into the trash bin across the room, throwing my bag over my shoulder. "Bye dad, I'm going to school." I shouted as I walked into the living room with no reply.

"Daddy?" My voice raised, just in case he hadn't heard me. In the distance, I heard his car engine revving up, and driving away. I scoffed to myself, before heading out my front door, locking it behind me. Typical.

The frosty air hit my face, as I shivered, walking quickly down the sidewalk. It was barely mid-October, but New York had felt like an icebox. Summer came and went, but winter prcatically made a home for itself. I usually didn''t mind the cold though, it was somewhat refreshing.

My black and white sneakers carefully hit the pavement with every step, as I watched everything around. From the way the tree's leaf bent as the wind pushed, to every person who passed by. Oberseving people was just a thing for me.