Ethan vs. Death

Looking at the window, Ethan shuddered to see Him standing and grinning yet again. He always hame when least expected, never in the same place and yet always smiling in mockery. He could practically hear that coo in his ear; "Well, Ethan? Ready to face me or would you rather just come quietly?" He could see the dark figure chuckling and shaking its head slightly.

Ethan realized he had been shivering. After all, he could never be sure if the figure was here to take him or not. Frowning at his show of weakness, insulting himself that even after twenty years Death frightened him, Ethan glowered at the figure and flipped him off with gusto. "Piss off, Death," he hissed, knowing the powerful being could hear him in one way or another. "I'm workin' on it."

The figure laughed openly at this and turned, passing out of Ethan's view.

Sighing, Ethan leaned back in his chair and rubbed his tired eyes. How many things had he tried to get this demon off his back? In fact, what he searched for was the fabeled impossible; immortality. Ethan long ago refused to succumb to Death's everlasting possession; his life would be his own. 

Raising his head, he gazed yet again at the new lead that fueled him now. It hadn't failed him so far: the legend of the fountain of youth. The world was such a vast place, he hadn't thought it wise to search haphazardly. But now, he felt he was close.