I didn't see

I didn't see the car. Honest to God. When I woke up, though, I saw it. There was a lady crying in her hands right next to it and, even for just a split second, I wondered if it was because of the dent in the fender or the one in my skull.

There were flashing lights and lots of screaming, which just made me want to get out of there. 

So I strolled around town and window shopped, people watched, and star gazed. Honest, the stars were so bright that night I could practically touch them. What if I really did get close enough to? I've always wondered, would they be so hot they're cold or so cold they're hot?

Going back to the place that felt like home, nothing was familiar. it was so white and blurry--like they were trying to trick all the patients into thinking they were already on pain meds. And it had that awful ammonia-hand sanitizer smell, the one that all hospitals have.

I went to my room, which I had never seen before, and through the window, mother sat by my bed.

Holding my hand.

I walked forward like the glass was imaginary and touched her shoulder, but she shuddered so viciously that I pulled away.

What lay on the bed wasn't me. It most definitely wasn't; my skin is pinker and my eyes are open. My head is all in one piece. I stared at this copycat and shook my head.

A sound screeched through the room, calling the doctors in. I didn't know mother could drown out the call of that red line.

But it's nothing to be sad for, honest. Please don't cry and yell and scream. They cover up that face because it's not me.

I'm sorry, Mum. Honest to God, I didn't see the car.