Writing Practices, Advice and Answers

I didn’t get tagged on this one. I suddenly thought of the idea of creating a new topic for a list that may come in handy for writers and aspiring writers. So, using the same mechanics and rules of this game, the participant or the Taggee *snicker* will list 10 writing practices they do/follow, and/or advice for other writers, and/or answer the questions they commonly come across on this site. I reckon that it might result in helping some people in improving their writing skills by sharing our practices, giving advice, and answering their questions.

After the list has been made, s/he tags at least 10 people to do the same.

Finally, after publishing your list, dedicate the page to the person who tagged you so s/he can read your list.

*Ties a balloon to your wrist* Tagged! Let’s create ripples!

Here's my list. I hope you find it helpful.

1. Have a calendar or planner to monitor and keep an eye on the timeline of your story. This way, it won’t be difficult to figure out whether a scene happened a week ago, a few days. Also, makes you aware of what season or weather of that period so you can describe if it’s snowing, or it’s scorching hot, is your character wearing a coat, etc.

2. Before being writer, be a storyteller. Know what you want to write about. If you don’t, then the common dilemma is: I don’t know how to start it. I don’t know what happens next. I don’t know how to end it. Do not force yourself to write. Do not expect to create something from a non-existent idea.

3. Worry about the technicalities later. This is very common among those who are too conscious of grammar, punctuation, format, etc. If you dwell on this too much, then it’ll take you ages in completing a piece. Write the story. Proofreading, revising, rewriting comes in the end. If you’re unsure with your technicalities, seek the help of a friend/editor to look at your work.

4. Though, some readers on Wattpad are more forgiving with regards to technicalities to support the writers in improving their craft. DO NOT ABUSE THIS “FLEXIBILITY”. At lease make an effort to do your best to present something worth a reader’s time. If your writing techniques make it difficult for the reader to decipher your point, or the message of your story is being read incorrectly, then you may have failed to communicate.

5. Again, on proofreading, spellcheck, grammar check, etc.--DO CARE TO DO SO! I’ve come across some messages where writers go about how they hate or don’t bother to proofread--sorry, people, but please, RESPECT YOUR READERS. Don’t use it as an excuse for the shortcomings of your story with regards to technicalities. Even if that is not your strong point, as I said in #4, MAKE AN EFFORT.

6. A lot of the time, when we do take time to proofread, there are inevitable cases where we overlook some errors. We read our stories over and over and over again that our eyes and brains are too tired of seeing the words and we fail to detect the errors. Read your story again when it’s uploaded and/or take a break from it. Sometimes, what you can’t see on your word processor, you’ll be able to see on the published medium or after you’ve taken that break from it.

7. When you think about a story to write about, it is helpful to already know the scenes, minor or major, so you can write and build up on the elements that will lead to those scenes. I usually know the conflict and possible ending of my stories and some scenes in between; so it helps me a lot in writing the other scenes that will lead to that moment. It also helps me “plant” the foreshadowings.

8. Know your characters inside and out. Know their behaviour like they were real people. That way, your character development is realistic and consistent. Example: Don’t introduce your character as a virgin whose step family is  pushing her around and being meek, then suddenly every guy sees her as a sex object (fair enough if the intention is to portray her as someone who is that attractive), she seems to welcome sexual harassment from those who find her attractive--do you see where I’m getting at? Despite the intention of describing her as sexy and beautiful, there lies the question: Is she respected/respectable? Yes, I’ve read a story like that. Anyway, establish and motivate. Know what drives them to act the way they do and why or how they are so.

9. Even though we’re writing fiction, it still has to be realistic. Do not abuse your Poetic LicenceArtistic License, and Suspension of Disbelief. Take time to research! 

10. Read! I can’t stress this enough. To be able to write, you must read. This is how you’ll pick up vocabulary, writing techniques, structure, exposes you to the experiences of the characters, etc. This is not new. You will hear/read it from most writers. It comes to show that this is a common and important advice. Take it!