Chapter 26

Author's Note: If you have any writing tips, please feel free to comment.

Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills as a writer.

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 26

The mobile started vibrating and Malloy groaned. She rolled over to the other side of the bed and pulled the covers over her head. Yet, the mobile continued vibrating, annoying the hell out of her.

"Dammit, who is calling at this time of night?"

She extended her arm and looked blindly for it. Finally, she grabbed and pressed the green button.

"What?"

"Am I interrupting?"

Malloy's eyes shot wide open and sat up with her hair sticking out. She rubbed her eyes and wiped the drool from her mouth.

"Well, you interrupted my sleep," she muttered. "This is a surprise. Is everything alright?"

On the other end, MacTavish grinned. He sipped some water and fidgeted with the corners of his journal.

"Ghost told me what happened."

"Ah yes," she laughed. "He's quite spirited your lad, isn't he?"

"He means well."

"I know. Thanks for thinking about my team and... saving my life back at the hospital."

Malloy realized that she hadn't even talked to him since that event. It was the least she could do.

"We look out for each other," he said, "right?"

"Of course. Are you still at the hospital?"

"Aye, I'll be going home later in the day. Wounds are healing up nicely."

"Great! So umm..."

Talking to her ex-boyfriend at two in the morning was pretty awkward. To make matters worse, her brain felt like mush disabling her to construct proper sentences.

"That's it, I just wanted to check if everything's ok. Good night."

He hung up, leaving Malloy gawping at her mobile. Nonetheless, she couldn't help but smile like an idiot. She sighed and went back to bed, with a warm feeling bubbling in her stomach.

--- --- --- --- ---

Delta, Price, and Yuri left the room where Alena was being held captive and looked at the bridge in front of them. Amidst the Russian soldiers crossing from one side to another, Price glimpsed President Vorshevsky being carried away.

"On the catwalk!" roared Price.

"There he is! I see him!" yelled Grinch.

"Then we're not too late. Keep pushing!"

The Russians were not showing any sign of surrendering. They defended the President well. However, Delta, Price, and Yuri kept pushing and gaining ground until finally, they managed to clear the catwalk.

They hooked up on the railings and descended three stories down, deeper into the mine. As their feet touched their ground, bullets started flying towards them. Yuri dashed behind a concrete block and reloaded his M4A1. He wiped the sweat from his forehead and continued shooting at the enemy.

Confirming that the path ahead was cleared, they moved swiftly towards where they took the President to find a large, steel door blocking their way.