Slip Ups

A week later, we had a plan.

It was far from foolproof, relied on the hope the cameramen would be shocked enough to keep filming, and had plenty of flaws; but it was a plan. I tapped my foot anxiously as my professor droned on. A buzz sprung from my phone. I glanced down.

I'll pick you up behind the city bus stop.

I bit back a smile at the name and quickly typed out a reply.

Are you sure no one will be at your lair place?

Not sure. But even if they are, they won't be expecting you and I can keep them occupied.

Hope you're right.

"Who are you talking to?" Kim whispered.

I jolted and looked up. We only shared one class, given that our majors were so vastly different, but Kim made it count.

"No one," I slipped my phone back in my purse. "Just my . . . friend."

Kim's eyes sharpened, "Please tell me it's not Orion."

I swallowed but shook my head. Orion wasn't a person, but an identity. One nothing like James. I smiled sheepishly.

"His name is James."

"Is he the one you keep disappearing with? Why didn't you tell me?" Kim hissed.

"Wait a sec -."

"I'm not stupid, Mira," she lowered her voice further. "I'm a freakin' S.H.. I know you've been hanging out with someone all week. I just wasn't sure who."

I glanced around, "I wanted to be sure we were actually going somewhere before I told you."

"And are you?"

My face heated, "Well, we haven't reached full-on 'boyfriend-girlfriend' status, but . . . yeah."

The bell rang. Kim and I jumped to our feet, grabbing our things.

"So," Kim's face took on a sly expression, "when do I get to meet him?"

We stepped into the hall. I shrugged.

"I have an interview on live T.V. today, so maybe tomorrow or the day after."

"I hate that you pay the price for all my hero work. The media. The kidnappings. The questions," she sighed.

"I don't pay any more of a price than you do," I played with my backpack strap.

Nervousness bubbled in my stomach. If Kim caught sight of James . . . She'd never actually seen him, but as a superhero, she was unfairly perceptive.

Please don't let him come yet. Somehow or other.

"I'll be watching your interview," Kim promised. "If they make you uncomfortable, I'll bail you out. The Alpha-Conquer-Weeping-Bestie plan."

I gave her a broad smile, "Thanks."

Good. That meant Kim would be watching. We stepped out into the sun. It was disappointingly warm for December. Especially for us Canadians.

"Do you want me to wait with you?" Kim asked.

"Don't bother," I restrained the panic that rose at her words. "The driver should be here soon."

" . . . they aren't a minion are they?"

"Kim," I rolled my eyes. "No. I happen to know them. So I'm perfectly safe."

"Good. Okay. I'd better head out."

I hugged her, "Study hard."

"Gee, aren't you fun?" Kim freed herself and started toward her car.