I Am The Absorber Ch 2

Okay, here is chapter 2 of I Am The Absorber. It's only about 1000 words and so is the first chapter. I'll try to make the third one about twice that. Please leave some advice, critique, whatever. It would really help. Also sorry about the lack of indents. Problem with Word, I guess.

I was so frightened by what had happened that I ran away. I ran away from the school, my class, the mess I had made on the grass. It was a puddle, 3 feet around and about an inch thick. I thought I was sick, possibly sick enough to die. I had just thrown up my weight in liquids, plus the gasses I had felt escaping. I was crying so hard I thought I would run out of tears.

I ran and ran. I didn't stop until I had to. I was breathing hard and the tears were not stopping. I just plopped into the nearest yard and sat there. I stayed there for an hour. I stopped crying and just laid on my back. I felt the grass itching my neck and ankles but I didn't move. I watched the grey clouds move across the sky, getting into position. I knew it would rain and I was glad. Rain would wash my problems away.

I stood up when it finally began, letting the water stream down my face. I tilted my mouth toward the sky and caught raindrops in my mouth. My clothes became soaked as did my shoes. I took them and my socks off and began walking home barefoot. I didn't stop until I stood in front of my house.

Neither of my parents were home so I wasn't about to be yelled at, if they were even angry. I let myself in and went straight to my room to change.

When I had fresh clothes on, I headed straight for the couch and the TV. There was nothing on and I fell asleep.

I awoke violently, sitting straight up and almost falling off the couch. Somehow, in my sleep, I had made the connection between John, the bully, and my puking episode on the soccer field. I was horrified at the implications at what this might mean.

Could I just go around, killing everybody I touched? Would every single person I touched be absorbed like that? I shuddered and closed my eyes.

Was it only people that I could do this to? Could I absorb, say, a fruit? A small, furry creature? A rock, tree, house? Could I absorb water?

I turned over on the couch and curled up. I wished I had a blanket and my pillow. Then I could just go to sleep right here.

I turned back over and stared at the TV. My mother would be home soon. I decided to tell her that I became sick at PE and was so embarrassed that I just ran home. She might not care at all or she would be angrier than a hornet that just had his nest disturbed. It all depended on what mood she was in.

I thought about John again. I thought about my power. It all ran through my mind until it became like an abstract painting, the colors running together and losing their definition.

I woke up when my mom slammed the door. She had bags of groceries in her hands and her hair was messed up.

"I'm so sorry I'm late. I'll start dinner right away, I promise." Then she saw the look on my face and became concerned.

"What's going on? Did something happen at school?"

I was surprised at the look on my mother's face: concern. I was also surprised that she had even noticed the emotion on my face. She wasn't the type to care about stuff like that. It wasn't that she was a bad mother, it was just that she could be a little selfish most of the time. She liked glamour, fashion, clothes and having a healthy social life. Her child was second to each of the things listed.

I groaned and sat up. "I got sick on the soccer field at school when I was running out to PE. I didn't want anybody to know it was me so I walked home. I think I have the flu or something."

She stopped on her way to the kitchen. "You walked home from school? You can't just do stuff like that, Levi. You should have gone to the office and asked for the nurse. Then your dad could have come and picked you up. Really, you should know this stuff by now." She groaned. "What am I going to do with you?"

She went into the kitchen and I heard her rustling around, putting groceries away and hopefully making dinner.

I know, I lied. Most of it was truth, but the spark of truth that was missing changed my whole story. What was I supposed to say? Hey, I killed somebody today. It was an accident though, so it wasn't really my fault.

I felt like crap. I wanted to just lie down and sleep for a year. Now I wasn't even hungry after I remembered what had happened today for the hundredth time.

"Hey, mom? I'm gonna go upstairs and go to bed. I really don't feel good."

She came out into the living room and placed her hand on my forehead in a rare display of motherly affection. "If you're going to take tomorrow off, I could see if I could stay home."

I shook my head. "No, don't. I can take care of myself for a day. I'll be fine."

She narrowed her eyes. "If you're trying to play hooky..."

"No, mom, I have never played hooky in my life. I don't plan on starting now." She gave me a look and then disappeared into the kitchen. I breathed a silent sigh of relief.

I slowly made my way to my room, where I collapsed on top of my nice, soft bed. It was only 7:00, but I was so exhausted I didn't even bother taking off my shoes. I just closed my eyes and fell asleep.