I Am The Absorber Chapter 14

Okay everybody, here is the new chapter of IATA. It's the shortest chapter so far, only about 500 words. The shortness is intentional, don't worry. Hope you like it!

     “What happened to all the people?” Levi asked. “Where is everybody.”

     “You don't need to worry about it, Levi. Nobody is hurt. Everybody is alive and well.” the woman said, smiling serenely at him. “Now tell me where all that water came from.”

     Levi leaned across the table and said softly, “What happens if I don't want to.”

     The woman leaned forward again, so close that their noses touched. Levi thought that she was going to threaten him, but in fact, the opposite happened.

     “I am not going to hurt you, Levi. I want to help you. I am not the bad guy here. There are bad guys out there, real ones, men who wouldn't give a second thought to hurting you and using you for their own gain.”

     “I don't believe you.” Levi said shortly. “You were the ones who kidnapped us. You drugged me!”

     “I'm sorry, Levi, but that was necessary. It goes against my code of conduct, but keeping you and Jenna alive was the priority and I didn't have much time. Convincing you that I was the good guy would have taken too long.”

     “But...” Levi started to speak, then stopped with a confused look on his face. “How did you know we were going to be in the diner back there?”

     She laughed, a short, quick sound. “Oh, it took some frantic activity on my part. I tracked Jenna's movements over the course of the night, as well as the searching patterns of the police, and made an educated guess as to the most likely place she'd end up. The diner was number one, but I couldn't be sure. I had it shut down for the morning with a large bribe to some powerful people, then moved in when you two joined up and began moving toward us. There were actually a few moments when you were almost caught by police, but don't worry. I took care of you.”

     Jenna cut in, exclaiming, “How did you know that?”

     “Satellites. They were tracking body-heat signatures. I radioed in a sighting of two children matching your descriptions in the exact opposite direction you were running. A few members of my team already had the kitchen up and running so I took our places and waited.”

     “What about those two women who you attacked?” Levi asked.

     “I didn't attack them. We simply incapacitated them. They are not hurt. They woke up in the kitchen with no memory of how they got there, due to a little something I mixed up myself.”

     Levi stopped again, holding up his hand for silence. “You just said, 'I took our places.' Don't you mean, 'We took our places'?”

     After a moment, simultaneous laughter rang throughout the small building, echoing off the concrete walls and filling up every corner. Chills ran up Levi's spine and he shrank visibly in his seat. Jenna grabbed his hand under the table and squeezed until it hurt.  

©2011 mylifeisaverage Scott

Please take a moment out of your busy day to vote! It is extremely appreciated!