Chapter Two

Back at the Extricate leadership building, I brought the rescues into my office and started recording their names and what their occupations were back on Ameliorate grounds. "Mr. Ramsey, how long were you managing for the company?" I asked him.

"Four years," he told me.

"And is that something you would still like to pursue, or are you interested in changing your career?"

The grown shrugged and glanced at his wife who was sitting beside him. "I enjoy my job, but I wouldn't mind looking into other options at least," he answered.

Nodding, I recorded his answer briefly and emailed a document with all of the appropriate information needed to get them proper citizenship to Landon. "When will we be able to get our Ameliorate marks removed?" the child's question made me look up at him and smile at his eagerness.

"I guess the word got around fast," I chuckled. We had just announced that we would be able to remove marks last week.

The family nodded. "We want the Extricate mark," the mother informed me.

I pulled away from my desktop computer and faced them properly. "As soon as we get you into the Extricate system, then you will have the privilege of getting your marks removed," I told them. "But we are still getting everything together and people assigned to do it. I think we will be able to officially start removing marks by next weekend." The family smiled at my answer the boy looked excitedly between both of his parents. "It should take approximately two weeks for the skin to heal, but as soon as it does, then we will be able to give you an Extricate mark. The smiles on their faces only brightened, making me turn back to my computer with a warming heart. I loved helping people get away from Ameliorate leadership.

"Are you wanting to enroll Matthew into school?" I asked the parents, referring to their son. "Personally, I do recommend it so he will be able to finish his education before starting a job career.

The family agreed on the idea. Standing up, I asked them to follow me. Leading them through the building, I took them to Landon's office where he would help them get jobs and find them a place to stay. I knocked on the office door and after permission, I led the rescues into the room. "This is Landon and he will be taking care of you from here. Then, later on, he will take you to Bella where she will get Matthew enrolled in school," I informed them. The family took a seat in chairs in front of Landon's desk.

"Are you done for the day?" Landon asked me after shaking hands with the rescues.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm heading home for a bit. I'll probably come back later this evening to go through emails though."

"Alright, see ya later."

#

I read so many newspapers, I lost count. I read through every online news site I could come across, but I never came across a story I was looking for. All I needed was a story about a woman running over here around eighteen years ago. That's all I wanted to find, but I couldn't find any clues on her anywhere. "What are you up to?" I didn't even look up from the old newspaper in front of me when I heard Dean's voice. He must have been looking for me because me being in this visitor's house was a rare occasion. This was the building that was given to Roman, Bella, Landon, and me to stay, but I stayed at the Martin's the majority of the time. I used my bedroom here as a workplace and a place to escape when I needed it.

"Looking for my mom," I told him. He came up behind me and placed his hands on my shoulders.

"Hey, you've been here since this morning."

I sighed. "I have to be close to finding something."

Dean reached over me and gently took the newspaper from my hands, both of us knowing I probably wasn't close to finding a single thing. "Hey, I know you're hurting, but you aren't alone..." he said softly. "Okay?"