Chapter Five

I stood at the end of the long meeting table with all high authority leadership members sat and stared at me as I explained everything Mason had told me. On my way here I contemplated whether I should make Mason anonymous but actually decided against it by the time I walked in the door of this room. Mason could have saved all of our lives with this warning. I wanted to give him that recognition. Why? After all the wrong he's done, did he actually deserve it? Honestly, I don't know.

"You should have had him arrested immediately," Reagan growled, wiping his hands over his face after I was done giving details.

Swallowing a nervous lump in my throat, I straightened my spine and stood my ground on my decision. "I let him go as a peace offering," I spoke clearly and loudly. "He warned us of a great attack. It was the least I could do...Maybe now he will have the heart to warn us again in the future if need be."

He didn't reply after that, making me hope that he understood my reasoning and maybe finally agreed with me. I met Dean's gaze who was sitting beside his father at the table. My boyfriend slipped me a small smile and nodded once, making me unnoticeably exhale in relief. At least he believed in my decision.

"Okay," Reagan spoke up after a long moment. He stood from his seat and leaned against the table in front of him, putting his weight on his palms. "Easten, I want all the soldiers stationed at the border prepared. Tell them the warning and further arm them. I want more backup lines," he ordered a man across him. "Faully, add more regulars watching the border cameras and surrounding areas. I want to be the first notified of any suspicious behavior. I will hold another meeting in thirty minutes for those of you in charge of defense and offense with information on further plans. Don't be late. You are all dismissed."

I didn't move as everyone in the room stood and walked out, all having more business to attend to after the news. We did the right thing, right? This wasn't a trick from Vincent? He didn't just send Mason over here with false news to scare us? I couldn't help the thoughts circling my mind. I didn't just accidentally lie to everyone, did I? Should I have told everyone it was Mason? Did that make him a bigger target? How did he even sneak over here in the first place?

"Hey," Dean spoke softly in my ear, making me look up at him. Everyone else in the room had already left while I was standing there is lost space like an idiot. "What's on your mind?" He ever so gently, pushed a stray hair behind my ear before placing a soft, delicate kiss on my forehead.

"The possibility that I just made a big mistake," I admitted.

His blonde brows furrowed, and his heterochromia eyes scanned mine in confusion. "Why would this have been a mistake? We can prepare for the attack now."

I shrugged. "What if Mason lied?"

The sound of Dean exhaling a deep breath filled the room before he shrugged. "There's no way of knowing. I mean I don't like Mason as much as the next guy, but I mean, he may have just saved our lives." I nodded and he kissed my forehead again before grabbing my hand in his and intertwining our fingers. "Come on," he yawned. "Let's go get some breakfast."

By the time we made it back to the Martin's house, the sun was rising over the mountains in the distance, warming up the chilly, foggy air. "That's it, I'm chopping off all my hair!" Alice exclaimed from the dining room as soon as we walked through the front door. I wondered why they were here so early.

"Did your braid end up in your cereal again?" Dean asked with an amused grin.

"Yes," she grumbled, throwing her two long braids behind her shoulders. Her hair was truly getting very long now. Even after woven in the braids, the ends of her hair reached her belly button.