Chapter Eleven

I walked down the empty hall and up to the security room where I found the door open and an officer sitting at a desk covered in computers. "Excuse me? Sir?" Stepping in the doorway, I clutched my bag to my side as he turned around to face me. His dark brown eyes looked at me with curiosity and his black eyebrows raised in question. "I need to look at camera footage in a room I was staying in earlier this evening." I was straight and to the point.

With a heavy sigh, he crossed in dark, tanned arms over his chest. "You know I can't give you access to that."

My heart and shoulders dropped. "Please? I know I don't have the right to even ask for access, but I need to know who I heard visiting me," I explained, sounding like a whining child. "It's important." I pleaded with him with my eyes. "Please."

For a long-hesitated moment, the middle-aged man just stared at me. "Melody, I hope this is truly important." He turned to his computers and waved me over.

I took a deep breath and stood over his shoulder as he maneuvered his way through the camera footage and tried not to think about the fact that he was probably only doing this because he knew who I was. The man quickly found the footage of the room I was in and we watched through a sped-up version of time. For a few minutes, all we watched was me sleeping in the hospital bed with an occasional doctor and nurse come in to check on me. Then finally after a while, a woman appeared.

Looking from the camera angle of being in the top corner of the room, it was impossible to catch sight of her face. The woman in fact wasn't Alice. I knew it. I knew there wasn't a chance that Alice would There was a shawl wrapped over the lady's head, but I could see a long blonde braid peeking out of the thin, see-through floral cloth. The security guard and I watched the mysterious person walk up to the side of my bed and talk to me, touching my hand. She stood in my presence for a solid minute before past Mel's eyes started twitching. At that sight, the woman leaned down, placed a sweet kiss on my forehead, and rushed back out of the room.

By the time she was completely out of view, my heart was pounding in my chest, thumping loud, filling my ears. "Can I see the cameras through the hallways? The entrance?" I asked frantically, pushing to the desk to get a better view of the screens.

The man scrolled through some different camera views before shaking his head. "You can't see her face in any of them," he told me, though I could see that with my own eyes.

My thumping heart broke. Was this her? Was she alive? Was she actually checking up on me? Did she keep tabs on me to make sure I was okay? If this is her, why is she hiding? Why won't she just come forward?

"Who is she?" the security guard asked me as we watched her figure walk out of the building from behind.

I breathed, not believing my eyes. "My mom."

#

My head was pounding by the time I climbed out of the cab and through the front door of Reagan's house. Dean stood from the couch as I closed the door behind me. The room was dark and the only light illuminating was a tall lamp in the corner of the living room. "Where were you?" he interrogated instantly as I dropped my bag by the door. "I've been trying to call you for thirty minutes."

Sighing, I scratched the back of my head and flung off my shoes. "I'm sorry, my phone must have died..." I faced him as he walked up to me worriedly. "You don't have to worry so much."

He pushed a strand of my blonde curly hair behind my ear. "You know I always do." Though the room was dimmed, I could easily see his brows furrowed as he stared at me.

"Melody, what's wrong? Have you been crying?" Another voice in the room snapped my head to the side. Roman walked out of the kitchen, holding a cup in his hand.