5

I felt naked without my gun. I felt unsafe. For the last three years I have slept with a gun on me at all times. Being without it in a country where every major criminal wants my head on a pike has me on edge.

Especially when our contact was late to pick us up. It was nighttime, and we were in a small cafe nearby waiting for him without having a way to contact him.

Off to a great start.

"Maybe we could reach Berlin on our own?" Nicolas suggested. "We have our fake passports."

I shook my head. "Too risky. Besides, he has the location of the place we're staying in, our weapons, information, everything."

He quirked an eyebrow. "Information?"

I nodded, leaning back into he chair. "I looked the guy up. He works at Spielbank Berlin Casino, the largest one in Berlin. Not to mention, he's the man in charge. There is no way he hasn't seen something sketchy going on in his time there. So we need him, because one thing all of the big mob bosses have in common is their big ego, and what better way to feed the ego than winning?"

Nicolas nodded, "smart." 

We kept quiet after that, waiting patiently for a tall and skinny blonde with green eyes to show up. 

I didn't feel awkward, between him and I. Just...distant. Like strangers getting together for a job. We had a common target and we were working together to hit the bulls eye. We put aside any differences until we get there.

Still, I can't deny the spike in my heartbeat every time we have eye contact or the hollow feeling in my stomach that seems to turn and turn. Not out of feelings for him, just... phantom memories.

I don't have feelings for him anymore. I outgrew them. I killed them the moment I broke up with him two years ago. At least I think I did. 

Nicolas sighed, "but we can't just stay here unprotected."

"We can't move too far from the airport."

He ran a hand through his hair and it made me think of the many times I did that.

Not now.

Right then, almost like a blessing or answered prayer, a tall and skinny blonde approached us.

We both looked at each other, easily communicating to each other to act like we were in conversation.

"Mr. and Mrs. Winston?" It took me while to remember that was my alias while in here. I kicked Nicolas under the table and looked over to the man.

"Yes?" I answered, reaching for anything that would help me in case this wasn't the man we were waiting for.

"I'm Becker," he smiled at me, stretching his hand out to me. "Nice to meet you."

I ignored it. "How do I know?"

He laughed, amused at my skepticism. I narrowed my eyes at him.

Nicolas picked up the metal knife from the table and looked at me with a straight face, "maybe we can test his DNA."

His eyes widened and he pulled his phone out of his pocket. He showed me the calls he received from Elijah. I thought for a minute. Was this enough?

I looked to Nicolas, he looked back.

He shrugged and so I got up.

Becker seemed nervous. Knowing Elijah he probably didn't tell him who exactly he was dealing with. Not many people would help out the number one enemy of their country. I wouldn't.