Chapter 28

Only an hour had passed by, but my feet were killing me and I was tired of putting on a fake smile.

I was now standing in a small circle surrounded by three other couples. They were the future Alphas of their own pack, but they seemed to be only slightly older than Nathan. Ben and Krista were the next for the Blackmoor Shade Pack, John and Angela next in line for the South Shade Pack, and Daemon and Liz inherit the Thornton Shade pack.

They were all engaged in some talk about the packs. I realized I knew almost nothing of their way of life. Although Shifters go to these events to find their future mate, an Alpha just has to be eighteen in order to imprint. Not only that, but the Alpha and Luna—male and female leader of the pack—have to fight every male and female in order to prove their title. If the challenge is failed, they are unable to rule their pack and are pretty much kicked out.

I couldn't hold up my false smile anymore as a prickly sensation came over me, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Someone's watching me. I turned around, looking for anybody around me, but found I was alone. Then I spotted them. Some people from across the room stared me down, revenge gleaming in their eyes. I felt the breath in my body leave as I zeroed in on one. I could tell he wasn't a Shifter, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a threat.

Junto followed my stare, his jaw going slack as he saw the small group. He didn't look at me as he spoke. "I have to go speak with some people real quick. I will be right back, okay?" I nodded, still not trusting myself to speak with this unexplainable fear going through me. "Stay here, I'll be back soon."

I watched Junto's retreating form approach the small group with determination. I saw the others turn to Junto, ready for an argument. I didn't know what was going on, but I couldn't help but feel it had something to do with me.

I tried to re-focus on the group. Junto was going to straighten this out, and the last thing he needed was me breathing down his neck. Krista is going on about some sort of movie she's excited about when a familiar blonde head flash from behind her. No way, I say to myself. What is he doing here?

I excuse myself quickly and go after the retreating figure, trying not to fall now that I don't have Junto or Claire to hang on to. I stumble into the next room, but he's gone. It's like I never saw him.

Great, now I'm seeing people. I shake my head at myself, scanning the room again. I grab a drink from one of the waiters walking around with trays and take a long sip. Maybe I'm just so thirsty, I'm seeing things.

"Elana?" I spin around and come face-to-face with Ryan. I did see him!

Ryan takes in my appearance, scanning my body. "You look . . . wow!"

I look down at myself, confused if he saw the same thing I saw earlier. But then I realize he was still looking at me and cross my arms in front of myself, trying to cover myself. "Thanks." I change the subject. "What are you doing here?"

Ryan is dressed in a dark purple shirt, white slacks, and a white bow-tie. To pull it all together, he has a pure white suit jacket and smooth, combed blonde hair. "I should ask you that question."

Before I could answer, Ryan outstretches his hand to me. "Dance with me, my dear?"

My mind instantly went to Junto. He told me to stay put and said was going to be right back, so should I go back and wait for him?

I looked at Ryan again. I knew he wasn't a Shifter, or Manipulator for that matter. No way could he be a Vampire or a Foreseer. So what was he doing here? Curiosity got the best of me and I took his hand, setting my glass on a nearby table.