Chapter 9

An awkward silence rang through the room. "Who never told me what?"

If even possible, the silence seemed to thicken. "Where is your mother?"

He has no right! "Excuse me?"

Nathan gave another low grumble, but this time I heard the warning he gave his leader, "Don't."

He ignored him again. "Your mother. Where is she?

"Well, if you must know, she left us a couple of years ago. It's just my brothers, sister, and father now."

Everyone's eyes seemed to get bigger, if that was even possible. Their eyes slowly tore from me as they whispered amongst themselves. That was wrong with these people? Sure, it's sad, but not impossible.

"Your sister, how old is she?"

I hesitated before answering. "Why?"

"Just answer the question, honey." The sweet lady who was pouring the drinks peeped up.

"Her and my brother are both five. Why?" I pressed again.

Everybody seemed to relax a little bit at my answer, "Answer me and tell me why." I demanded.

Stephan's face twisted in anger, but Nathan stared him back down. Taking a deep breath, he explained, "The foreseer gene only comes from the same gender as the parent. Because your mother was a foreseer, that means the females in your family would also get the foreseer gene, a little less strength as the parent. However, because your sister and brother are twins, the male gene in the womb killed any chance of your younger sister of having the same gene as you and your mother share."

I didn't say anything to his explanation. I couldn't. How can someone just believe that they were some sort of 'foreseer'? And their sister could have been one?

Stephan must have interpreted my silence as a hint to keep going, so he continued. "Foreseers are the heart of the supernatural world. The most powerful. Not only can they see the future, but they can read minds, make others hallucinate, uphold telekinesis, and some can even make predictions. Depending on what your mother had, that determines what ability you will have. The stronger the mother, the stronger the child."

I can do what?! Suddenly finding the lack of Oxygen in the room, I stood and went straight for the sliding door. Before I even got there, though, Nathan was standing in front of me.

"You can't go out there." He warned, his voice getting so dark it almost stopped me from speaking. His hand was palm out and inching towards me, as if gesturing he understood my suffering and wanted to help.

"I need some air," I rebuked, before shoving his shoulder to shoo him aside. Only he didn't move. Like stone, he didn't even lean over.

"Nathan, just go with her. After all this, I'm sure she needs some space to think it through." The woman at the foot at the table suggested.

Nathan's body moved slightly from the door. "And she wouldn't need to go outside if Stephan would have listened to me in the first place! Now she can not only put herself in danger, but us as well."

Faster than my mind can even process, Stephan jumped from his chair and got right in Nathan's face. The hatred and detestation radiating from his so strongly, I thought he was going to hit him. He tried to speak through clenched teeth, but it was hard to understand him from the disapproval in his tone. "You question me? I am the leader of this pack. I don't care if you are my son or not, nobody will speak poorly of me!"