Chapter 6

I must have slept for quite a while, because the next time I opened my eyes, we were already on a windy road up the mountain. However, I was more uncomfortable than when I fell asleep. I looked down to find myself lying on an old torn quilted seat. Confused, I sat up and noticed I was in the back seat of an old pickup truck.

"Finally. I thought you would never wake up," Nathan startled me. He must have heard me rustling around. I glanced to the driver's seat to look at him and noticed it was dark outside. The nearly-full moon accented his features, highlighting his sharp features. His jawline was defined and his high cheekbones were accented. The moon made his dark hair take on a blue hint and his eyes looked dark and focused as he winded up the endless mountain. I silently cursed myself for being so attracted to this jerk.

"How long have I been asleep?"

"Long enough to get a new car."

"It doesn't look very new," I sarcastically remarked back at him.

He didn't respond, just stared ahead at the road.

"So, how long until we get there?"

"Another hour or so."

"How can you tell? Is there some kind of Werewolf ability for that?"

"No, it's just called a map. And, we're Shape Shifters."

"Oh," I felt so stupid I just wanted to curl up in a ball and hide in a corner. But, instead, I pushed for answers. "What can you do?"

"Breath, eat, talk—just like you."

"No, really, don't you guys have abilities? I saw Claire shoot fire out of her hand. Isn't that something a witch would do?"

Nathan's hands clenched the wheel so hard now his knuckles were white. "I liked you better when you were asleep," He grumbled.

I let the truck fall into a silence that seemed to be so full of tension, I thought I could cut it with a knife. I don't understand what his problem is with me, but I decided I just wouldn't talk to him if he was going to treat me like this.

"What would've happened?" He shot at me.

"What?"

"What would've happened if you didn't go in there for the girl?"

I scoffed at his rude attitude, "Well, first of all, that 'girl' has a name. It's Claire. Second of all, why do you care?"

He didn't seem fathomed by my snarky remark, "You would have died, ha? You dreamed of her dying and decided to go in there to change fate," when I didn't respond, he pushed farther, "I'm right, aren't I?"

"Why do you care? I can already tell you hate me, so I don't see why I have to tell you anything."

He must be deaf. "Well, that was very stupid of you. Now you're in this mess you will never get out of. Just because you had to help one person and get killed in the meantime. Do you realize how rare you are?"

"Seriously? Obviously, you haven't had anybody you care about because then you would understand. And once again, you don't even like me, so why do you care?"

I thought I heard him grumble something like, 'you have no idea', under his breath, but I wasn't sure because the rumbling of the truck was louder than his voice.

He didn't make another attempt to start another conversation, so I just sat back and stared out the window. It was so beautiful here. Trees enveloped most of the ground and each one had different colored leaves. The more we drove the more light snow we saw that sprinkled the mountains around us.