Rebellious Spirit

Atsushi let out a loud yawn as he followed Kyouka to the office. He slept too well the night before, Kyouka has to come pick him up. Waking him up was a such a difficult task, but getting him out of bed was harder. He would click his tongue and dove deeper in his blanket. When Kyouka forcefully pulled the blanket away, he'll just hide his head under the pillow, groaning. In the end, Kyouka had to use the rougher methods.

"Morning," Kyouka greeted everyone in the office and took her seat. Atsushi did the same, but something in his voice lacks the usual passion he had for the job.

Yosano was the first to walk up to him and gave a quick medical check. Everything was normal. Everything except...

"Wow, it actually turned black. It's pitch black!" Kenji exclaimed in amazement while staring deeply at Atsushi's hair.

"Huh?" Atsushi, visibly annoyed, turned to see a streak of his pitch black hair. He only caught a glimpse of black before Yosano forcefully held his chin and made him face her instead.

"His eyes are now pure gold too." she explained, clearly amused.

"Cut it out!" Atsushi pulled himself out of the grasp and groaned to release a bit of his anger. Kyouka tugged on his shirt and gestured him to come closer to her. She then pulled him even closer to whisper in his ear.

"What did I tell you about acting normal?" she asked coldly.

"Ah, shut it. I'm trying to be normal, they're just so... annoying!" Atsushi answered back, whispering.

"Well, from my prespective, you are clearly not normal or even trying to be one." Kyouka stated with her serious gaze. Atsushi only growled in defeat and quietly sat back on his desk.

After gathering several documents, Kyouka went over Kunikida's desk and asked for a permission to go on the mission. He read the files for a few seconds before putting it down.

"Absolutely not." he declared while fixing his glasses in place.

"What? Why?" Kyouka asked.

"First of all, clearly Atsushi here was not in a stable condition. Second, the enemy might still be after him. I do not recommend him to take any outdoor mission for now." he answered, in which everyone who heard it nodded in agreement.

Kyouka gave Atsushi a little I-told-you-so glare. He just shrugged as a respond.

Atsushi watched the two argue. Only watched, totally not listening to the words. He felt so lazy, almost like the whole world is suddenly so boring. The agency is not fun. The agency is just annoying!

Atsushi was still caught up in his own thoughts while everyone silently caught up on the argument. It seemed like Kyouka was losing, but then Dazai stepped in and gave Kunikida his trade mark persuasion. With every word, Kunikida got more and more annoyed until he finally snapped.

"Fine!" Kunikida shoved the files back to Kyouka's hands and turned his chair around to face the other way. Looks like Kyouka has won the arguments and they were good to go. "But mark my words, if anything bad happens, anything, you'll be in trouble."

"Got it." Kyouka agreed. She nodded to Dazai to thank him and he returned the act. Why he helped them, she can only wonder. Soon enough, Atsushi had himself being pulled out of the office by Kyouka.

From the place he was standing, Dazai grinned to himself. Oh, whatever was he thinking?

Several minutes turned into hours and to Kyouka's surprise, the boy she has been pulling had kept quite in the journey so far. Knowing his state, she expected more complaining and less cooperating, but what she got was a pouting face following her around.

"Are you angry?" Kyouka finally started the conversation.

"What? Pfft. No." Atsushi answered with a sarcastic tone.

"Was that sarcasm?" Kyouka knew this was coming, but seeing the once innocent tiger boy change this much still got her taken aback sometimes.

"Gee, detective! Didn't know you're so smart!" he mocked.

Kyouka decided it is best for the both of them to just be quiet before he got on her nerves.

"This is it." Kyouka observed the huge building in front of them. Everything looks abandoned. Dust covers every corner and the glass windows can never fool any pigeon. She cleverly forced the no longer working door open and looked around before silently taking a step in. "Let's hope that ability user is here. We can finally get you back to normal."

Double checking their safety, she then gestured for Atsushi to come. He rolled his eyes and complied.

Just a step inside rendered the boy silent. His didn't move an inch as his breathing gets unstable. His eyes then started searching around the room, as if looking for someone.

"What's wr--"

"He's here."

"What?"

"He's here. Lou is in this building."

+++

"Oi, newbie! Are you sure that bastard is coming?" Chuuya tapped his foot furiously.

"He'll be here... I can feel him getting closer..." Lou answered. He seemed dazed, like his mind was in another place.

"Stupid newbie with his stupid ability..." Chuuya grunted under his breath and kicked a can to vent his anger.

"I suggest keeping the noise down, senpai. The tiger has good ears." Lou turned his gaze to the redhead.

"Senpai?" Chuuya lost focus, just noticing how Lou never call him anything until now. He shook his head, "More importantly, how is he supposed to hear us if he's never coming here?"

Lou seemed confused, "Senpai, the tiger is already in this building."

"What? Why didn't you tell me earlier?" Chuuya popped some veins.

"I did told you he's getting closer to us."

"Tell me when he arrives, idiot!" Chuuya clearly was struggling to keep his volume down. "Did he come alone?"

"I dunno."

"What do you mean you don't know?!"

"I can only sense the tiger. He's the only one I'm using my ability on." he then calmly continued to gaze to space.

At this point Chuuya just wanted to eat his hat.