Cakes

A black car drove down the streets in the city. Everything looked ordinary as pedestrians were all going about their day. Food stalls, outlets, and cafes were fighting for attention, silently begging for customers to come by. From the back seat, two figures peered out of their respective car windows. One seemed to be trying to distant himself from the other.

"Why on earth do I have to go with you?" The familiar figure groaned, not a single intent to hide his disappointment.

"Shut up, Akutagawa! I didn't choose who I want to go with either!" Atsushi flipped the unholy finger in reply.

Akutagawa didn't expect such reaction from the tiger boy, but was not surprised either. When he was called out to see Mori earlier that day, he was more surprised of Kyouka being in the room with them. She was looking down, visibly distressed by the presence of the man she once called Boss. Sitting across her was Atsushi with the new boy he hadn't had the chance to meet yet. What was his name again?

"If you hate me so much I don't mind doing this job alone. Go find a cafe or something, I'll come back for you in an hour or two." Atsushi continued, interrupting the flashback in Akutagawa's head. He reviewed the small piece of paper in his hand. On it was a list of a variety of cakes, dolls, and dresses they need to get for Alice, specified in great detail. "God damn it, who knows my first job in the mafia would be grocery shopping."

"Don't make fun of me. Just get things done and let's go back quickly." Akutagawa growled lowly. He hated that even with an all-flipped personality, Atsushi still somehow manage to irritate him. Probably even more now.

"Boss said we can use the change if we'd like," Atsushi patted the pocket where he kept the money, "Maybe we should treat ourselves as well after this."

"Don't be dumb. Just do the job and go back."

"What if I just pocket the rest of the money? I'm not sharing them with you though~"

It was a hard day for Akutagawa. This version of Atsushi definitely irritates Akutagawa even more. Hang in there, Akutagawa!

The tension was broken by a buzzing phone.

"Excuse me, may I please?" the driver politely gestured to his phone. The two men went back to looking out of their own windows like children who just had an argument. The driver saw this as a green light from them and answered the call.

It was just silence between Atsushi and Akutagawa, with the driver's whispers in the background talking on his phone. This awkward air is fine for both. They would rather not talk than having to deal with each other's shenanigans. That was, until curiosity got the better of Akutagawa.

"It's really weird to see you working for the mafia like this. What do you think about the agency now?" Akutagawa asked in a soft tone, trying to not disturb the conversation the driver was having on the phone. Who knows if it was the casual air or just pure curiosity, but Akutagawa did not think through before uttering those words.

"Huh? Well, it's because of Lou." Atsushi replied nonchalantly, his golden eyes started to softly glow.

"Lou? Ah, so that's the name of the new recruit." Akutagawa muttered, eyes still wandering out the car window.

"He... I..."

Akutagawa turned his head to look at his new coworker. Atsushi seemed dazed, as if trying to make sense of things. His eyes glowed brighter and brigther as his thoughts kept meeting a blank.

"Eh...?"

Shit, did that trigger something in his head?

"...The mafia feels like home."