Chapter Seventeen

Anisa

"Are you okay?" Amal asks, breaking my trance of thought. Memories of my mother, taking over and breaking my heart.

"I think I saw Naveed yesterday. Was it him?" I spoke, avoiding her question.

"Yes. Naveed works in this hospital." She replied, and looked at me. As if she were waiting for something...

"So when is Dad coming?" I asked, trying my best to drive away from answering the question she asked.

"I don't know. He didn't tell me a specific date, just that he will come to see you." She spoke, lacking enthusiasm in her tone.

"And Imad?" I asked, trying to mask my excitement with genuine curiosity.

"He has a swimming event in Spain."

"So he can't come and see me?"

"No. He said he will come immediately after his swimming competition." She said, in a monotonous voice. I could feel something was wrong with her, her emotions radiating from her like a wave and I could sense it.

"I understand." She scoffs, like in disbelief by what I said.

"What?" She looked at me and forced a smile and shock her head and said nothing. "Mal? Did Imad do something?"

She remained silent and just looked at me. "Mal answer me." I got impatient. "I am not in a coma anymore can you just talk to me. Stop treating me like I am sick, I am not. I was in a coma and now I am awake, Amal I am here now." She told what Imad did... and it didn't sound like him. I mean we grew up together, it felt like she was describing actions done by a stranger to me and to match his actions with a familiar face just didn't make sense nor was it easy for me.

"He's just..."

"If you are going to defend him, don't bother." She cut me off, and spoke rather stern. "You always defended him. For once I'd like my sister on my side." Soon after she left the room and left the room. I wasn't going to defend him, nor pick his side just try to understand him and now I can't do that without hurting my sister. I can't walk properly yet, I have to undergo physiotherapy and so even if I wanted to run after my sister, I couldn't. So I called the nurse, with the call button and she walked in and asked if she could assist. I told her I needed to talk with Doctor Naveed as soon as possible, and she agreed and left the room.

He walked in moments later, as I was switching through the channels on the television. "What's wrong Anisa?" He spoke, when he immediately walked in.

"I didn't expect you to come so soon. You save lives don't you?" I asked, ridiculing him jokingly.

"Even if I answer that question. You and your sister will still think otherwise."

"Well let me cut to the chase, I don't want to take more of your valuable time. I don't think Amal is okay."

"Medically?" He asked, showing concern.

"No, emotionally."

"Anisa I don't know what you want me to do."

"I want you to care. Inquire..."

"We are no longer teenagers, if she wants help she will ask for it from someone she trusts and knows. I am sorry but I can't do anything about it. Take care Anisa."

"No Naveed wait. I am sorry, it's inappropriate. Me asking this of you. I apologize." I told him, embarrassed at my request.

"No need Anisa. I understand and respect your concern as her sister and please I hope you do the same for my response."