37

Ronan had vanished, so that he could go and recruit as many Dreamwalkers and Argents as he could. Kate and I were standing with Irina and David, waiting for the signal. Of course, the signal wasn't for Kate and I- it was for them. We were a fair distance away from the complex- close enough that Kate and I could see what was happening at the entrance though a pair of binoculars, but far enough so that we shouldn't be spotted should things go tits up. Which, I'd been told several times by Irina, was pretty inevitable in a situation like this. Hence, the need to stay right here, without getting any closer. Not even a single step, as she'd put it.

If Kate had any plans about ignoring her, I didn't know about them. She didn't sound as though she were lying when she said to Irina that she wouldn't do anything, but then again, she didn't last time. I was beginning to wonder whether I even knew Kate anymore. At first I thought she'd changed for the worse, what with stabbing me in the back, but now that we were over that, I was beginning to see her change in a good way. She seemed stronger. More confident in herself.

I, on the other hand, seemed to have reversed. I no longer felt confident in myself. I felt weak and useless, and it wasn't just because I didn't have powers anymore. It was being surrounded by people who did. I felt like I was still part of their world, but at the same time, I wasn't. Like I wasn't quite part of the human world, but I wasn't quite part of the Argent world, either. I was stuck, somewhere in the middle, and there was no way I could ever go back to either one.

But, what could I do about it? For now, I had to support the others in what they were about to do. I had to be ready to help in any way I could, even if that just meant staying out of the way.

I'd never been very good at that.

Ronan appeared then. "Okay." He said. "We're ready to go."

I swallowed, because I didn't want any of them to go. Not when I didn't know what was going on in there.

Irina and David nodded.

"Stay here." Ronan said for the final time.

"Good luck." I said. "Please come back."

"Don't worry." David said, planting a hand on my shoulder. "We'll be fine."

I wanted to protest, but it wouldn't get us anywhere. "Okay." I whispered.

Ronan caught my eye then, and just nodded, before disappearing with David and Irina.

__________

It had been ten minutes, and so far, nothing had happened. I'd kept my binoculars focused on the entrance, but all I could see was a man standing outside with a large gun in his hands.

"This is so shit." I said.

"I know." Kate agreed. "But you know what they said. We'd be no help. We'd make things worse."

I nodded. "I know." I said.

"They'll be okay, you know?" Kate said, trying to make me feel better.

I looked at her. "You don't know that." I said.

She shrugged. "Yeah, well, I don't see how their plan won't work if Ronan has the numbers."

Again, I wasn't convinced by what Kate was telling me, but I didn't want to start an argument. I put the binoculars against my eyes again, and gasped. I could see a figure approaching the guard from behind, although I couldn't see who it was. It was getting dark.

"They've started." I said.

"Let's see." Kate said, and I handed over the binoculars to her. "Oh, shit!" She exclaimed. "That guard didn't even see it coming."