28

"It's too dangerous." Ronan said, the moment I told him about the party.

"It's the perfect opportunity to get close to Doctor Geralds without going to the lab!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air.

He thought about it.

"No." He said, and slumped onto my bed.

"You can be my plus one." I said, my eyebrows going up and down.

Ronan looked at me, and sighed loudly. "You're gonna go anyway, aren't you?" He said.

"Yes." I said quickly.

He sighed again. "You're unbelievable." He tutted, shaking his head.

"You know it's a good idea." I said, swivelling on my desk chair.

"What if they recognise you?" He asked.

"It's a masquerade party." I said. "How is anyone gonna recognise me?"

"Your eyes." Ronan said.

"I'll wear a blue contact lens." I said. "Besides, worst comes to worse, you teleport us both out of there."

Ronan was biting the bottom corner of his lip, trying to come up with another reason as to why we shouldn't go, but he knew it would be a wasted opportunity.

"How are you gonna explain your plus one?" He asked. "It seems like quite an exclusive event."

"I'm not." I said. "You're gonna do your snappy thing to whoever let's people in. Then, once we're inside, nobody would notice you. Especially with a mask on."

Ronan stared at me, not impressed. "I can't believe I'm saying this." He was shaking his head. "What are you going to wear?"

I grinned, excited. "I have a dress from my school prom I can wear."

He nodded. "Do you have a mask?"

I pursed my lips. "I was hoping you'd be able to get one?"

He chuckled. "I suppose I'm gonna have to, aren't I? What time does it start?"

"Ten pm." I said. "It's at the town hall."

Ronan looked at the clock on my bedside table- we had three hours to get ready. "Okay." He said. "I'll be back here at nine forty five."

I smiled excitedly. "Okay."

Ronan pointed a finger at me, looked like he was going to say something, then shook his head, before vanishing.

__________

I'd dug out my prom dress, which I hadn't worn since, and the heels I had to match it. It was quite simple- black, sleeveless, and it rested above my knees. It was layered, too, and puffed out just a little. I decided to ring my eyes with thick, black eyeliner, and also went to the effort of painting my nails black. I wouldn't normally line my eyes with this much makeup, but this was an occasion where I didn't want to look my usual self. It made my eyes pop a lot- luckily, Ronan said he'd get me a blue contact lens to put over my silver eye. I hoped that Ellie hadn't paid that much attention to the colour of my eyes- I would have thought she'd have pointed it out, seeing as she'd already met someone with a silver eye before. Mine looked naturally grey to someone noticing for the first time, if they noticed at all. Ellie had assumed straight away that I was like her, so it was likely that she didn't even see the silver eye.

Ronan appeared in my room at exactly nine forty five, wearing a smart, black tuxedo and a bow tie.

He looked at me, and raised his eyebrows. "Wow." He said, and laughed. "You look really good."

I grinned. "Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself."

He handed me a little pot. "Put this in." He said. I opened it, took out the contact lens, and put it in my eye, being careful not to smudge my makeup. Ronan then handed me a black mask, which I took. It was really pretty, and luckily was black to match my outfit. It had swirly patterns decorating it, and little silver gemstones embedded in it.

"Thank you." I said, taking it. Ronan had his own mask, but wasn't as detailed as mine- it was more masculine.

"Are you ready?" He asked, and held his elbow out for me to take.

I slipped my black heels on, smiled, and took his arm, my feet leaving my bedroom floor.

___________