10. Everything Has Changed

Call it Canadian bias, but I love Shawn Mendes. Picked out this amazing track for this chapter. Do you think it makes sense?
***

Desperate times called for desperate measures.

A teenager could lift a car to save his trapped grandfather. A mother could fight off a polar bear to protect her children.

And I, an average swimmer at best, could charge with reckless abandon and dive head first into freezing water to save someone dear to my heart.

I knew something was amiss when I couldn't find Penny among the surfing party. When I heard her faint cry for help, my adrenaline began racing. My heart sank the same time that Penny disappeared into the water. There was only one thought in my mind.

She was in danger. I needed to protect her.

I didn't bother taking off any of my clothes. The windbreaker and jeans were certain to be soaked and heavy once I entered the water, but not significant enough to hinder my rescue mission. The benefit of saving time by keeping these items on far exceeded than cost of the additional weight.

My feet pounded against the sand, and the little particles wedged their way into the soles of my shoes. Each step felt heavier than the last. I paid it no attention and powered through. My lack of athletic ability was on full display, but I didn't care what bystanders must have thought about my poor running form. Only one thing mattered at this point.

Saving Penny.

I ran into the bay and the waves violently crashed against me. The freezing water first soaked my jeans, making the material feel heavier than ever. I continued to charge headfirst against these conditions. Determination and desperation fueled my forward momentum.

The environment continued to pummel me relentlessly, punishing me for every step that I took. Water seeped through the denim. My legs felt frozen from the frigid water. The cold had me shivering but I didn't stop. I couldn't stop. Not with Penny out there submerged under the same freezing water.

I was well beyond the safety of the shoreline when the waves came rolling in with greater intensity. Medium sized waves barreled right into my chest and threatened to pull me under. I managed to brace myself for the impact and keep myself upright. A glance at the horizon indicated that stronger waves were inbound. I wasn't certain that I could withstand one of those.

A hand grabbed me by the shoulder. I turned to find Curly behind me, floating on top of his surfboard. His messy locks draped over his eyebrows, but they couldn't conceal the concern in his brown eyes. We both knew the danger that Penny was in right now.

"Hey, it's awfully dangerous in these waters without a board. Head back to shore. I'll get your girl back."

I nodded, understanding that this was the best allocation of resources. Curly, with his expertise and equipment, was better suited to bring Penny back to safety. I wouldn't have been nearly as effective. Worse yet, I would be even less effective if I was swept away by a wave. This was no time for heroism. I quickly turned around and ran back towards the shore.

Curly paddled hard out into the middle of the bay. He hovered around the area where Penny disappeared for a moment, then dove into the water. Everyone on the beach, including me, was quiet as we waited for them to reappear. The waves continued to roll in at a steady pace, providing a background noise amid our silence.

Several tense moments went by. Some people exchanged speculations under their breath. Not all of it was positive either. I had to resist a burning urge to confront them about their pessimism. There was a time and place for everything, and these dire circumstances were certain not the time nor place for negative input.