2. When Opportunity Knocks

I didn't do vacations well. In fact, I was so unaccustomed to prolonged breaks that I called mine off halfway through.

The following Monday, exactly seven days since Paul put me on a two week vacation, I returned to Armstrong & Lynch. At eight o'clock sharp. I pushed open the Victorian style double doors and strolled into the firm. Marilyn, our receptionist, was quick to greet me at the entrance.

"Back already?" she teased, a knowing smile draped on her face.

A recent graduate out of UCLA, Marilyn was one of the younger staff members in the firm. Her buttery blonde hair was routinely tied up in a ponytail, and that made Marilyn look even younger than her actual age.

Maybe it was the age factor, but Marilyn seemed to possess an air of detachment. Sometimes it seemed like she was here for a vacation. That could have been misinterpreted as laziness, but tax season quickly dispelled that idea. Marilyn was firing on all cylinders during that period, working at maximum intensity day in and day out.

When the busy period passed, Marilyn reverted back to her laid back form. Her ability to keep the work atmosphere relaxed was invaluable and much appreciated. Especially in a profession like accounting, which wasn't necessarily the most exciting thing on the planet.

I returned Marilyn's enthusiasm with a polite smile. "Yeah, I did all the sightseeing I wanted so I cut my vacation short."

"Well you could have given the remainder to me," Marilyn joked.

"Next time."

A giggle from Marilyn. "I'm just teasing."

A phone call sent our receptionist hurrying back to her desk. I took that as my cue to leave. As I made my way to my office, I took a moment to take in my surroundings. Even though it had only been a week, my attachment to this building made the absence feel like months.

There was a distinct sense of urgency in the air. Everyone was in their cubicles, chipping away at the stack of files in front of them. Although the busiest stretch had passed, there was always a steady flow of work. The multitudes of folders containing pages upon pages of data acted as testament to that.

There was also an interesting paradox at the firm. The sheer complexity of accounting work meant that most project required days, even weeks on occasions, to complete. Still, that knowledge did little to deter us from our Sisyphean mindset. We were determined to complete everything at once, even though we knew it was impossible. The result: every time we thought we were nearing the end of our stack, a new stack was brought over and piled on top.

A tenacious attitude wasn't necessarily a bad thing. At least it meant that my co-workers were passionate about their work. That allowed Armstrong & Lynch to experience quite a bit of success in recent years.

I continued to walk towards my office. Along the way, as I always did each time I stepped foot into the firm, I marveled at the decor that Paul and Mark decided on. Most places in the industry took a more modern, cutting edge approach with their furnishing. Not here.

The two founders were adamant that the company explored the road less traveled. Standard cool white office lights were replaced by halogen bulbs of a warmer yellow hue. Automatic swing doors gave way to Victorian style double doors crafted from mahogany wood. Every element in the firm defied the norm.

The difference at an unit level could have easily been dismissed. The sum of these changes, however, was unmistakable. A brand new working environment was created as a result of these modifications. With its warmer and cozier appeal, the firm felt more like a cabin home than a business office.