1. Live A Little

One of my favorite 2000s throwback, and the perfect song to kick this story off. Has the seaside vibe that I was looking for. It's also a romance song, and that means fireworks! In chapter one nonetheless! You don't see that too often (but you'll wish you do)!
***

 It's also a romance song, and that means fireworks! In chapter one nonetheless! You don't see that too often (but you'll wish you do)!***

I was told to stand on the right side of the cable car. The grip man, noting the look of uncertainty on my face, had offered me that piece of advice.

"With a clear view of places such as crooked Lombard Street and the infamous Alcatraz Island, this side provides the most bang for your buck!"

Judging by his decision to describe two of San Francisco's most famous landmarks to me, I suspected that the grip man mistook me for a tourist. I supposed my confusion made me appear like one. Even though I was born and raised in the Bay Area, I hardly ever deviated from my path between work and home, which meant that I didn't take advantage of everything that the city had to offer.

I wasn't completely oblivious to my surroundings. While most neighborhoods were certainly rather foreign to me, the Financial District was my saving grace. I knew that section better than most people in the city. Especially when it came to the corner of Merchant and Montgomery.

On that corner, literally overshadowed by the Transamerica Pyramid across the street, stood Armstrong & Lynch, the accounting firm where I had been working for the past half decade. I spent most of my waking time in that building. That was not an exaggeration. I was in my office five days a week, fifty two weeks a year barring holidays and other unforeseen circumstances.

My Cal Ripken-esque streak would have continued for an indefinite amount of time if I hadn't taken a brief vacation. Paul Armstrong, one of the founders and namesake of the company, had convinced me to do so. By convincing, I meant forcing.

Paul sat down in my office, as he did on occasions, and walked me through the different reasons why I had to take a vacation. He told me that stockpiling vacation time was an issue for the human resource team, which was a valid point. The next point was that my constant office presence was concerning because it didn't seem like a healthy work-life balance. I told him that I didn't mind it.

After a few back and forth exchanges, we stated our positions. Paul wanted me to take some time off. I wanted to stay in the office and continue with my work. In the end, we compromised and I took some time off.

Which took me to this particular cable car ride.

Twenty eight years into living in the Bay Area and I had yet to set foot on the iconic transport network. I felt a little guilty, even a little less San Franciscan, but with a car at my disposal, I never found the need to take the cable cars. The lines didn't have a stop at my house, so it was difficult to get to work with the cable cars.

Having found a spot to stand, I waited for the cable car to leave the market and make its way towards the wharf. People continued to board as the car remained stationary. Before long, all the seats were filled and most of the floor space had been occupied by standing passengers.