Episode 19: The Second General

The Second General

            “You rang?” Cid asked as he entered the lower lab at NoirTech.

            King wheeled around to face him.  “I have some interesting information for you,” he said. 

            “Do tell,” Cid stated, flopping listlessly into a chair.  He watched as King pulled up a series of information on the computer.

            “This is it,” King stated, waving his hand demonstratively over the flickering holograms in front of him. 

            “I don’t understand,” Cid said as he looked over the images.

            “I’ve been doing some research on the Crystal Springs Triads,” King announced.

            “I still don’t understand,” Cid repeated.

            “I’ve figured out some rather interesting information,” King continued.

            “I STILL don’t understand,” Cid repeated again.

            “What is our mission?” King asked.

            “To clean up this city… duh,” Cid muttered.

            “And what better way to do this than to take down the longest lived crime syndicate this city has ever known?” King declared.

            “I still don’t understand what this has to do with me,” Cid stated.

            “You and I, we’re going to take down the Triads, one man at a time,” King announced.

            “And how would we possibly do this?  Without me dying, of course, since I’m sure I’ll be doing all the heavy lifting,” Cid asked.

            Cid watched as many of the images on the projector disappeared until there was one left. 

            “What is this image?” King asked.

            “It’s a star, like the ones I used to draw on my notebooks in school,” Cid stated. 

            “Correct… This particular star forms the symbol that can be found tattooed on most triad members,” he continued. “What is unusual about it?” King asked.

            Cid stood up and approached the hologram.  “Hmm… Well… There are symbols in the spaces between the lines.  A dragon… A flower…” Cid muttered, thinking aloud. “A helmet… A hawk… and a snake…” he continued.

            “My point exactly, but you are missing one,” King stated.

            “What do you mean?” Cid asked.

            “What’s that symbol in the middle?” King asked.

            “It’s a dot… An insignificant dot…” Cid stated.

            “It is actually the most important symbol of them all, the one that links them together,” King stated.

            “I don’t understand,” Cid said for the umpteenth time.

            “The dot is a circle… One not unlike the circle on…” King pulled up a picture of the Japanese flag. “This…” he continued.