Episode 30: Endgame

Endgame

            “I don’t understand,” Cid mumbled as he stared at what was being presented to him.

            Wagner chuckled.  “No of course you wouldn’t.  This is vhat remains of vhat I vas going to tell you all those months ago, before you rudely fled my facility,” he explained.

            He watched as Wagner flashed through several images before settling on one, a diagram.

            “Your mother and I vere doing research to produce the perfect human, to put it bluntly.  Ve imagined that modifying the genetics of a living breathing human vould be less than ideal, though that didn’t stop us from trying.  The results vere… less than ideal.  It vas at that moment that ve began attempting genetic modification on artificially inseminated embryos.  Ve lost most of them after two or so veeks of gestation.  Then ve came to subject 325, the as-of-yet unborn Cideion Rodgers,”

            Wagner began gesturing at the diagram.

            “This is a chart monitoring your growth patterns after two weeks, then four, then sixteen,” Wagner motioned, moving from diagram to diagram.  “You vere exceptionally healthy from the beginning.  It seemed that ve had found a method to express the best genes possible, to essentially choose vhat genes could be expressed.  The result vas you,” Wagner announced proudly.

            “Just what exactly are you saying?” Cid asked, though he felt like he already knew the answer.

            “I’m saying that you are the greatest scientific discovery of our century.  Your every breath, step, and word has been monitored since birth.  I’m sure you thought you vere conceived and birthed by ‘normal’ means.  Vhy vouldn’t you?  However, this vas not the case.  You were conceived in a lab, and carried by your mother until birth,”

            Cid could feel his heart sinking.  “Are you saying that I was born nothing more than a mere experiment?” he asked.

            “That is a rather harsh vay of putting it, but in a nutshell, yes.  You vere born to serve a greater purpose.  Everything that has happened to you has been to ensure you reach the pinnacle.  Vhy else would your mother have placed you in the care of King Monroe, yet another scientist, and a government one at that?”

            “King is involved with this?”

            “Everyone vas involved in this, Cideion.  I desired to take the experiment further.  I desired to combine our failed experiment with enhancing genes on the ‘perfect’ test subject, you.  Vhen your mother learned of this, she attempted to remove me from our research.  There vere lawsuits.  Ultimately it vas decided that she vould receive custody of you since she carried you to term.  To protect their interests, a government scientist was listed as the primary guardian should Arlena become deposed.  To protect my own interests, I sought the assistance of other agents.  In general, I became affiliated with the Yakuza, who would provide me with protection from the law while I continued my research.  In addition, I would supply them with new technology to keep them ahead of the law.  Eventually you exited puberty and it became time to strike, so I removed your mother from the picture and performed my experiment,” 

            Cid screamed in anger.  “You murdered her!  You killed her to get to me!” he shouted, struggling to get free.

            “Sit, boy.  You defend this very mother of yours who had determined that you vere an experiment and a guinea pig?  A mother who damned you to this existence vithout blinking an eye?  A mother who ensured that should she perish her work vould be continued by another scientist?  Arlena Rodgers is no better than I, Mr. Rodgers.  Ve are simply two sides of the same coin.  Think about it, other than your health, vhen has your mother ever show signs of caring for you?”