Chapter 10: Edge

Edge

"You called?" Gregorie Flatts asked as he took his customary seat in Hidate Hiragazawa's conference room.

When his question was met with silence, he looked up at the man standing at the end of the table.

"What's eating you?" he asked.

"I lost an entire shipment and one of my top enforcers in the span of one night. Someone took out Takeshi Yagami and his crew. I want you to find out who did it and get rid of them," Hiragazawa commanded.

"So who took them out?" Flatts asked, genuinely interested for once in his life. He wondered who, or what, could defeat "the Shogun", a man even he wouldn't cross if he could help it.

"I had one of my attendants speak to Yagami before they took him into custody. He said a black and orange superhero took them out," Hiragazawa explained.

"Wait, you mean to tell me that a "superhero" took out the Shogun?" Flatts asked, finding the situation highly unlikely.

"It was probably a neohuman like you, Flatts. It's not completely unbelievable, in today's world. People say neohumans don't exist, but you and I know better," Hiragazawa stated.

"Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'll look into it," Flatts said as he prepared to leave.

"I need this taken care of, Flatts. My workers are already afraid to take any jobs. This is costing me business."

"Quit your whining. I'll take care of it," the man known as "Edge" declared as he exited the room.

"You should get a job at Noirtech," King suggested to Cid as they ate breakfast together for the first time.

"Why would I do that?" Cid asked as he took a bite out of his toaster pastry.

"It'll help us cover our tracks. You get a job here, and obviously I was just showing you around the labs so you'll understand your work environment. If you don't get a job, then people might get suspicious."

Cid pondered the idea for a minute. "Yeah, I see what you are getting at."

"Good, so you'll start today after school," King stated.

"Can't do today. I have a project to work on with Celine."

"Good, so you'll start today after school."

"I don't think you heard me-"

"Good, so you'll start today after school."

"Really, I-"

"Good, so you'll start today after school."

"UGH!" Cid shouted in exasperation. "Fine, I'll be here after school."

"3:15" King stated bluntly.

"But that's like right after school! I won't even have time to-"

"3:15"

"Fine!" Cid shouted as he got up from the table, threw the remainder of his breakfast in the trash and stormed out the door for school.

"Hey you!" Celine said with a smile as she met Cid at his locker. "Have you seen Ronnie today?"