Part 17

"What about Legos Zayn?"

"I don't think so. No."

"Why not?"

Zayn pushed the cart further down the toy aisle. "Because Liam puts everything in his mouth and the last thing we need is him choking."

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "Okay. So what then?"

"That Pa." They looked at Liam to see him pointing down the aisle toward the girls' toys where there was a host of Barbie dolls, stickers and princess ponies. The two looked between each other and then at Liam.

"I don't think so." Harry spoke up. "Let's just stick to boy things for now."

"No Pa. I want."

Zayn folded his arms and gave Harry a bored look. "And you wonder why I wanted only one of us to come on this aisle by ourselves and choose something quickly."

"Pa that there." He was still pointing toward the girls' items.

Harry frowned. "He obviously likes the bright pink Zee. But I refuse to get him a doll."

Zayn chuckled. "Well, then. Find him something here. And do it quickly please because I'm ready to go home."

Harry agreed because he knew they had been out all day. It was a few minutes till eight o'clock and he knew Zayn would like for Liam to have eaten by now because lately he had been trying to get Liam to go to bed at eight thirty or no later than nine o'clock. But tonight, Liam hadn't even eaten and it was obvious that it would be after nine o'clock before they got him in bed.

Harry ended up settling on Mega Blocks– something Liam couldn't even put in his mouth, yet alone choke on– and he put it in the cart along with the rest of the items they were going to buy. They actually only spent a little more than fifteen total minutes in the store, being that for the first time in a long time the lines weren't so long. And they did get back to Harry's place around eight thirty. Zayn put a pizza in the oven for he and Harry but made Liam chicken nuggets. So even though they were eating something different it was quick and easy.

"Pa, this yummy." Liam told Zayn when they were at the dinner table. "I like this."

"I see, and the quicker you finish your food, I can put you in your PJs and read you a story. But if you don't finish in time, I can't read you a story."

"I read story. I read it." He waved a chicken nugget at them and Harry chuckled at how adorable it was that Liam thought he could read.

"What's so funny?" Zayn asked.

"Nothing. Just you two."

"What about us?"

Harry shrugged. "I just think... I think you make a great dad."

At that, Zayn's heart felt like it exploded in his chest. "Dad?"

"Yeah."

"Dad."

"Yeah... Unless you don't like that term. Do you prefer Pa better? Or daddy. I personally wouldn't mind calling you daddy, cause it sounds kind of dirty. You know like..." His voice faded when he saw Zayn giving him a warning glare, because he almost forgot Liam was sitting there.

"Or uh... Or not. Never mind. But Liam would love to call you daddy, I'm sure. Wouldn't you, Liam?"

"Daddy? That's you?"

Zayn's attention was then focused back on Liam who was looking at him with confusion.

"No sweetheart. I'm not daddy. Pa's just joking."