Chapter 42 - Informing The Hawthornes {}

____________________________________

"Ashley. You're back." Lina stated her voice croaky, with no emotion in her words as her eyes found mine, they were pools of sadness.

"I am. You don't seem alright, do you want to talk about it?" I asked her as I sat down on my couch and rubbed soothing circles on her back, "You smell like a brewery," I added.

"I was out... drinking at the bar. I couldn't handle Matteo's death anymore. Today's his fourth year." She sighed slurring her words slightly.

"It'll be alright. I've got you," I whispered as I pulled her into a hug, her tears falling heavily as she sobbed.

"Thank you for being here. I'm sorry I showed up unannounced. I guess living in our old apartment that we shared was too much for me. I'm sorry for barging in like this." She apologized and pulled her long hair into a bun.

"You're okay. I don't mind you coming in, and I understand why. Haven't you thought of selling the place and moving out? Maybe it will help." I suggested.

"I can't lose all my memories of Matteo. We lived together in that place for goodness sake!" She gasped her eyes bloodshot and puffy.

Just then the door rang and Lina looked quite startled and afraid.

"Oh no! Your visitor is going to see me like this." Lina gasped looking remorseful at her appearance.

"Don't worry. I'll send them away it's nearly one am anyways," I said glancing at the clock on the wall and went to the door to open it.

I saw Brandon sopping wet from the rain, "Hey," He grinned.

His blue eyes glittered as he spotted the ring on my finger, as though he thought I was going to remove it.

"What are you doing here, Brandon?" I asked him as wet water droplets fell from his disheveled black hair and onto his Armani suit that he had been wearing for our date.

"You left this in the car." He said and pushed my cell phone towards me.

"Oh!" I gasped, I hadn't even noticed I had missed it, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," He said just as three loud thunderbolts hit the earth in quick succession. I nearly jumped from fright.

"I guess I'm going home," He said looking at his watch, and began to turn to walk out.

"Brandon! Wait!" I called after him and he turned to look at me, his eyebrows raised with expectancy.

"Stay here. I don't want you to drive in this weather." I said.

"Nah, I'll go." He said.

"Brandon, I want to stay here. It is much safer for you," I commanded.

He sighed, "Fine." He agreed.

We both walked back into the apartment and I shut the door behind us and locked it.

"Who was it, Ash?" Lina called from the living room.

"My boyfriend!" I called back and Brandon raised an eyebrow before he gestured to my ring with his chin.

"She doesn't know," I whispered and he nodded in understanding.

"Is he here?" She called back.

I sighed, "He's spending the night. I can't let him drive home in this weather. There's a bad storm raging on outside," I yelled to her.

Lina didn't respond. Brandon and I walked into the living room, our hands were still clasped tightly together. We found Lina curled on the couch, tears streaming from her eyes again.