Chapter 36

The carriage ride to Lady Edith's is full of laughter and smiles. Evelyn can't remember a time she that she has felt so carefree, and happy to be in the company of her father and brother.

William, for once, doesn't smell of whiskey and he seems to be more aware and appreciative of the world. Mr Wright cracks jokes the entire journey and has his two children in stitches by the time the carriage stops in front of the brightly lit house. William helps her down and they link arms as they walk inside.

The hall has been decorated with thousands of glass diamonds, they hang from candles, are draped over portraits and attached to doorways. The light bounces off them and reflects all over the walls and floor. Evelyn immediately spots her cousin standing with Fredrick and Edith. She is wearing a white and red patterned dress with heavy jewels around her throat, a large bejewelled mask and a tiny tiara on the top of her sleek plaited bun. In this demure dress, Evelyn has to admit that her cousin suddenly looks more mature and not like the ignorant selfish child that she has endured for the last few years.

Henrietta lets out a little squeal when she sees her uncle and cousins enter. She bounds out of line and hugs Evelyn tightly.

"It's so good to see you." She cries, squeezing until Evelyn has to push the girl away to stop her from injuring her ribs.

"Congratulations." She says lamely. Henrietta's eyes sparkle behind her mask and she beams.

"Thank you." She says, "I have never been this happy in all my life and it's all thanks to that lovely man." She turns her head and gazes lovingly at Fredrick who is shaking hands with Mr Wright while Edith politely greets William.

"You are very lucky indeed," Evelyn says as Henrietta pulls her over to greet him.

"You remember my cousin Evelyn." She says to Edith, who wrinkles her nose and plasters on a fake smile. William and Mr Wright take this opportunity to slip into the crowd heading towards the main room.

"But of course." Edith says graciously, "Seems we were destined to become family after all."

Evelyn has to admire the composure in the woman, but she can feel the disdain being directed at her despite the neutral words.

"We are most fortunate to share in the happiness that these lucky people have found with each other," Evelyn replies, smiling at Fredrick who looks awkwardly away.

"Quite," Edith smirks, "Well enjoy the party." She turns to Henrietta who is still gripping tightly to her cousin. "Come, I must introduce you to my friend."

Henrietta reluctantly allows herself to be pulled away, leaving Evelyn alone with Fredrick.

"Funny situation this is," He says. Perplexed, Evelyn raises one eyebrow and tilts her head.

"I mean, you, unmarried, at my engagement party to your cousin." He garbles, a fine sheen of sweat on his forehead.

"Hilarious." She comments, completely unamused. He coughs uncomfortably.

"Are you well?" She asks, noticing his skin has turned from pale to pure white. He opens his mouth to answers but a shocked voice behind her cuts him off.

"What are you doing here?"

Evelyn feels her heart skip several beats at the familiar voice, she has to count to five in her head to calm herself but eventually, she turns to face Blackmoore, a cold calculating look on her face. She ignores the effect duke is having upon her heart, dressed in a pitch-black dress suit, complete with cane and a half black, half white mask.

"I beg your pardon." She replies, sticking her chin in the air and doing her best impression of Henrietta on a bad day.

"I can't believe you're here." He says, grinning, feeling lighter than air. He steps forward to hug her, but she steps away from him and he freezes when she gives him a heated glare.