Chapter 3

The sun rises high in the sky and baths the carriage in a warm fresh light. Juliet hands the serving boys the trunks and they strap them onto the back of the carriage. The clock in the hall chimes nine o'clock as Evelyn walks down the stairs in her travelling cloak draped over a rose patterned dress, a small beaded bag hangs off her wrist and a matching white bonnet is tied under her chin. 

"Always on time," William says, leaning against the door frame with a cigar in his hand. His blonde hair is swept across his forehead and sticks up at the back. Evelyn tuts as she steps in front of him and looks pointedly at the smoking cigar. 

"Father won't like that." She says, folding her arms. 

"He won't catch me." He says cheekily, stubbing it out on the floor and kicking it onto the gravel. She sighs disapprovingly and watches the final suitcase be strapped onto the back. 

"Have you seen Henrietta this morning?" She asks. 

"No." William says "She wasn't at breakfast." 

Evelyn frowns. "I thought she would be dying to leave," 

William clears his throat and stands up straight, looking at something over her head. She turns around and sees their father heading towards them. 

"Children, good morning." He says. "I am disappointed that I shall not be joining you in London however I hope you enjoy your time there." 

William purses his lips but doesn't say anything. 

"Evelyn if you could give this to your aunt?" Her father takes a letter out of his breast pocket and hands it to her. 

"Of course." She slips it into her small bag. There is a sound of banging upstairs and the patter of quick feet, they glance up to the top of the stairs where Henrietta appears, she races down the stairs and skids to a halt in front of the party. 

"I can't believe I overslept." She cries breathlessly. Evelyn would normally contradict her but the atrocity on the top of her cousin's chestnut locks has astounded her into silence. Hot pink feathers over twenty centimetres stick out of a crumpled white hat with pink sequins. As she turns her head the feathers turn with her. 

"Shall we go then?" She asks, she flounces towards the door, her feathers swing wildly, "Goodbye Uncle." 

Evelyn doesn't speak until the horrific feathers have vanished from sight. William snorts behind his hand, even her father smiles, amused. 

"Goodbye, father," William says with a grin, he heads out the door. Evelyn turns to Mr Wright and she smiles sadly. 

"I'll see you soon." She says, kissing his cheek. He pats the top of her head comfortingly. She walks out of the house and across the gravel to the carriage where a serving boy helps her inside. She steps up and settles herself next to her brother with Henrietta and Juliet opposite. The door shuts, she pushes back the curtain that covers her window and waves to her father as the horses trot on, pulling the carriage down the lane. Evelyn leans into the leather seat and closes her eyes when her home becomes out of site. 

"Is this exciting?" Henrietta says, Evelyn opens her eyes to see her pulling power and rouge out of her bag. She begins to pamper face in a small compact mirror. William bites his cheek as the feathers in her hair wobble and flutter in the air as the carriage is pulled over rocks and holes. 

"Where did you find those feathers?" Evelyn asks, eyeing the pink accessory. Henrietta glances at her and then raises her hand to touch it. 

"They're beautiful, aren't they?" She says running a finger along the length. "Juliet found them for me and dyed it pink on my request."