Chapter 8

The carriage is rather silent on the way back to 104, they stop at the house they dropped William off at to inquire after his whereabouts however the kindly house mistress told them that her master and his guest had gone calling  on friends in the heart of the town but that William had left a note for his sister. Lucile couldn't help saying that she knew they would develop a bond. The housemistress wishes them goodbye and says that they are welcome to visit anytime. Henrietta looks bored as she plays with the curtain tassel, uninterested in anything other than the state of her nails. Evelyn unfolds the note as the carriage starts to move again.

Dear Sister,

Jackson is such a bore, I predict that even you would detest his company however he does have connections and I have convinced him to take me to the nearest gentleman's club. I doubt I will be back anytime soon, don't wait up.

Your loving brother

William.

Evelyn resists the impulse to scoff in disgust but instead, she folds the paper and tucks it into her bag.

"Jackson has kindly taken my brother to meet some of his friends." She paraphrases. "He won't be returning to us for some time."

"How nice." Lucile says, "He must be having a smashing time."

Evelyn doesn't comment, she knows that her brother's version of a good time means endless bottles of whiskey and rum mixed with the attention of beautiful women though that latter she'd rather not think about.

Lucile takes hold of her's and Henrietta's hand. "I am so pleased you girls are here for the season." Her face shines bright with fondness and pleasure.

"As are we." Henrietta pulls her hand away with a small grimace. Evelyn squeezes her aunt's hand before releasing it. The rest of the journey is spent in complete silence. When the carriage stops in front of 104 Henrietta bounds out like a hyper bunny and rushes up the steps. Once inside Evelyn hands the butler her coat but keeps her bag.

"There's tea and luchen in the parlour if you are hungry," Juliet announces as she appears. Henrietta doesn't say a word but her eyes light up ad she darts past her to the parlour.

"Thank you," Lucile says to Juliet and her aunt sweeps after her other niece.

Evelyn smiles quickly at her before heading towards the staircase.

"Not hungry miss?" Juliet calls after her. Evelyn turns around on the bottom step.

"Not right now." She excuses herself. "I may fancy something later."

Juliet looks concerned but convinced by her reason and she leaves Evelyn on the stair. She continues up the steps and walks down the corridor to her room. She smells fresh flowers and lavender the moment she walks into her room, it's already been cleaned and everything has been straightened and dusted.

She shuts the door, hurries over to her bed and takes her new book out of her bag. Sitting down on her blanket and pillows she kicks off her shoes and fingers the embossed cover, breathing in the smell of new book and ink. She opens it to the first page and reads a small synopsis about who the author is and his background. His is no different from the other writers of law books, rich and entitled. Never the less she begins the first chapter: The Beginning of the British Empire.

The words she reads do not tell stories of romance and tragedy, but of survival and evolvement and she enjoys them as much as any tale of fairies and trolls. All afternoon she flicks through the dense book, fascinated by every word, every law, every loophole. At one point Juliet brings her tea and scones which she devours as she reads about a case of Mrs Mary Bailey who was sentenced to hanging after the murder of her husband in 1784. The sun streams through the window and hits the floor by her bed, the light bounces around the mirrors and reflects rainbows across the walls. Halfway through the conviction process of Mrs Bailey and John Quin, the door bangs open and Henrietta marches in.