Chapter 25

10th Jan, 2020

Distance.

In a relationship, distance is one of the most important thing. When two people in a relationship stays distance apart for quite a long time, then the relationship is either strengthened or it is weakened over the time. With Shumail and Eram, guess distance had weakened their already weak relationship.

Defining silence was what was filled in the room when both Shumail and Eram's gaze locked with each other. If Shumail was worried a few moments before for Eram then seeing her awake and all fine, his stoic and cold facade was back. He didn't wanted to show any emotions on his face that could give away how he actually felt.

When Eram looked at him, she kept blinking her eyes thinking that she was imagining Shumail standing in front of her eyes but when even after blinking her eyes several times, she still saw Shumail standing in front of her, her eyes widened realising that he was actually standing there, right in fornt of her.

'I am not imagining! Shumail is really standing in front of me! Shumail is finally back!'

Eram's happiness knew no bound seeing him after so long. She didn't think even for a second before she tried to get up from the bed and run in Shumail's arms. Realisation hit her late that she have both her legs fractured and she can't walk on her legs, only when she had fallen on the floor right beside the bed and injured herself again. She landed on her left arm which thankfully wasn't injured but the impact of the fall made her let out a painful hiss and her eyes closed tight shut due to the pain that shot through her injuries on the head, arm and her legs.

Eram opened her eyes and looked down at herself, and that was when she found both her legs in a cast, along with her right arm which was having a fracture too. As her other hand went to touch her head, she felt a bandage wrapped around her head as well. The memories of her accident came rushing to her and she remembered how she had passed out calling Shumail's name, thinking he might appear out of nowhere, but what made her confuse was why she wasn't able to move her legs and walk.

"What happened to me? Why am I unable to move my legs?" She asked but the question was directed more to herself.

Shumail was immediately by her side as he saw her fall and with an irrational heartbeat, he put his hands under her form and picked her up, trying to be careful not to hurt her more. She was pulled back to reality by this act of Shumail and her head snapped up to look at his face.

"You were in an accident. A car had hit you and the impact was worse on your legs. According to doctors, you won't be able to walk on your own temporarily." Shumail who had happened to hear her confusion, answered. There were particularly no expressions that Eram could see on his face.

For a split second that she was in his arms, she felt her heart would explode with happiness seeing herself in his arms but the moment was short lived because Shumail immediately moved back after he had placed her on the bed. When the warmth of his hands and body left her, she stared at him with hollow eyes and blank expressions as she tried to think what was happening.

What he was thinking, what was going on in his mind, Eram could know nothing. Shumail was standing in front of her but it was as if he was just physically present. Eram lowered her gaze to her lap and began to fidget with her fingers. Listening to what Shumail said, Eram's heart sank but it was not because of the condition she was in but because of the situation her condition had put her into.

Seeing Shumail in front of her, a hope to win his trust back, to work on their weak relationship had filled Eram but after hearing that she wouldn't be able to walk for god knows how long, that hope shattered in million pieces. The happiness on her face vanished in thin air and she turned her face to the window, and refused to look at Shumail.